Friday, March 5, 2010

Sewing Retreat - Free!

Well, I'm officially signing up for the Sandra Betzina sewing "retreat" tomorrow. The shop owner said Sandra's coming from San Francisco, charging $1100 per day plus airfare, etc., and the $350 price does not include fabrics, patterns, or notions. Hmmm...She said if you lived in SF and went to Sandra's studio for this retreat it would cost thousands. (Really? Women who make their own clothes would lay out thousands for this?).

Anyway, the owner wasn't sure it would happen because she only has 6 women coming so far, but she emailed me tonight and said it's on! (I'm wondering if she advertised in Pensacola and New Orleans, you know, because this is a big-name woman.)

But I'm having my own little sewing retreat this weekend, because Dean and Drew are flying to Washington, DC, and Lucas is with the grandparents in Birmingham. I couldn't go because I'm on call, so looks like we'll be doin' some sewing! (And watching scary movies that only I appreciate, and eating leftovers with Jake, and getting kinda scared at noises in the night, and eventually sitting in the corner flicking the light on and off while crying.)

That reminded me of something my Dad always said. We'd call when we were in college and ask how everybody was doing at home and he'd say, "Well, your mother's been sitting in the corner crying since you left..." You'd ask about anybody you hadn't seen in a while and he'd give you the same, "Well, they've been sitting in the corner crying and I can't get 'em out." Another funny one was when he'd say, "That Scott, he's a dick!" (Meaning that one is terribly funny, not actually an asshole.) Then he shortened it to, "That Scott, he's a.....well, we know what he is." That became a family line. So if you ever hear us refer to you as "a...well, we know what you are," know that we mean it in the nicest possible way!

2 comments:

KID, MD said...

Fun!!! I can't wait to hear about your retreat with Sandra Betzina. So exciting!

Junior said...

I just called someone that the other day!