Thursday, March 25, 2010

Day 2 of Sewing Camp

Giddy with excitement, people! Yesterday was okay with the fitting, but I was nervous about keeping up with everybody and having to make a muslin out of pillowcase fabric, etc. Here's the muslin, which had some issues. I'm holding out the hip area where she widened the seam, and I think you can see the marks on the crotch where we widened the fly.



And if she saw one wrinkle on that left leg I'm impressed, because I see a bunch. But we added to the "hook" on the back crotch seam and extended that to the knee for the wrinkle.



So today I came home from work and cut out everything and interfaced it before I went in so I could get straight to sewing. And just how awesome are my pockets? (Bitchin' pockets, Sister, testify!) She made me hold them up and someone asked if I used a twin needle or was that just some fine stitching (DAMN fine stitchin'). She "encouraged" me to pick out some fun cotton print for the lining instead of the white stuff I brought from my closet, and what a great idea. I had just told my mother I hated that fabric when we were in there the other day, but I think it's the cutest pocket lining for some reason. So I was slow as Christmas doing ALL those pockets, but it was really fun and came out so nice. (I am so hyper right now, sorry!)



So I left at 9:45 PM (I did take 45 minutes to meet Dean and the boys for dinner, during which time they had to hear about how famous she is and how lucky I am and how awesome my pockets were). Tomorrow I'll try to head in about 1 PM and get these bad boys finished. Now could you vote on whether the back pockets should have zippers or not? It calls for a zipper at the top of each back pocket, and I don't know if that's too gimmicky or not. She did tell me that Vogue wanted more jeans patterns from her after her first one, so she stood outside Versace and sketched the pockets on the $900 jeans in their window. Too cool....makes these seem relatively cheap at $350. (Dean said this would be the most expensive jeans I ever had.)

And if you're still here reading my manic ramblings, I actually loosened up more tonight after that beer at dinner (just one), and got to know these women better. They told me the San Fran. retreat is a week long for 10 women, and you stay and sew in a hotel with meals pretty much provided, plus happy hour, so you can drink and sew all night long if you like. Then they fabric-shop all day Saturday and go back to HER HOUSE for dinner. And they might spend the night there before flying home on Sunday, but I could be confused. So cool...this is so awesome...

6 comments:

gwensews said...

Definitely bad-ass pockets! I love the idea of zips on the back pockets. It sounds like you're having a blast! Not at all like med school, I bet!

KID, MD said...

I'm trying very hard to restrain my unbelievable jealousy...

Those are completely awesome pockets!! Amazing topstitching. Beautiful work.

I think you should haul out your Dubin for the back pockets though...

auntninn said...

I can't comment on the pockets because I'm still in a swoon thinking about sewing and boozing it up for a week.

I don't like fastened back pockets, though. Zippers on pockets also seems a little 80s?

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Thanks, and sorry for the pocket-bragging - I've just never made jeans. And Katie, I'd LOVE to try the Dubin - I'm going back to see how you did it (can't remember if it was freehand or with an embroidery thingy). Boozing and topstitching is probably a bad idea, but it could provide some creative loooks! And, Lynn, remember it's Sandra - she wore the "arrow pants" yesterday and pulled it off nicely - I would look like Cyndi Lauper!

Victoria said...

Sounds like you're learning a ton from sewing camp. Thanks for sharing some of those tidbit. Your pockets do look flawless:)

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

God bless you, Victoria!