Friday, June 10, 2016

Wool from Flagstaff, and a Drew Time-lapse

So we were heading down through Flagstaff on our way to Sedona, but had lots of time and wondered what was interesting to do besides the Lowell Observatory. Well, would you believe that at that moment we came across the Flag Wool and Fiber Festival?! The boys couldn't believe their bad luck, heehee. Dean took them to the Pioneer Museum after they tired of looking at sheep...


and whatever this is...


and alpaca...I think.


But I had a ball...er, a skein! The lady who hand-spun and hand-painted this yarn is Katherine Smith of Lollipop Acres Fiber, and asked me to link her Etsy shop in exchange for the pics, so there ya go!


This was beautiful stuff, but a lot of it was over my head, as in wool for felting, wool for spinning your own yarn, etc. I bought one skein from her...


and two skeins from Mary Gavan, who had the most gorgeous rayon-linen yarns and some beautiful sweaters hanging up. Took pics to track the patterns on Ravelry...





So the one on the left is a sport-weight merino/nylon blend, and the 2 on right are fingering-weight (not fingerling, right? That's a potato I think...) rayon-linen, and I just LOVE the coral color - officially Paint Brush.


It also turned out that there was at least one knitting store in Sedona and one in Moab I found after we left, but I just can't go in every ONE of them, can I? And by the way, I knitted too tightly at the end of the black mesh sleeve, so I can't get the dang stitches off those circulars - arghhh! I get the feeling God doesn't want me to wear this thing. And I had already picked up a project from Mobile Yarn before I left, but that lace pattern is throwing me for a loop - looks like a lace class is in order.

I'll leave you with a precious time-lapse video Lucas made of Drew as we were driving away from Grand Canyon.



2 comments:

Pam said...

How wonderful! I love your adventures -- and how fortuitous to run into a fiber festival. I've been worried on my spinning and must confess it isn't going that well! Haha!

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Uh-oh - I've been waiting for some posts from you! A lot of the people at the fiber festival were demonstrating spinning and selling spinning wheels and other equipment. I can't wait to see what you've done! Also, I went back to your blog and checked out your socks - started my first pair, and yours are cute as they can be. Hope I can finish mine in a timely fashion!