Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Germs Will Save Us!

I'm soon heading to "sewing camp," as Dean has named it, but I ran across this and wanted to reassure Lynn from Living the Spacious Life that her daughter is fighting off future strokes and heart attacks by licking dirty windows! I get a daily digest of cardiology articles in the news, and this astounded me:

The Chicago Tribune (3/24, Channick) reports, "Analyzing data collected from thousands of children over two decades in the Philippines, researchers have concluded that a healthy dose of germs and pathogens during infancy reduced cardiovascular inflammation in adulthood -- a precursor to heart attacks and strokes." The study's co-author said, "I hope this research will promote some thinking about the potential cost of a zealous public health effort to promote hand washing and hand sanitizer use."

I think this proves my point that you can find a medical study to defend any behavior your want. They're WARNING against being sanitary because you may pay for it later with a stroke or heart attack! (That is, if you live through your swine flu first.) And the day before, they put out another study showing that moderate drinking is good for your heart...so if I get cirrhosis because of my 2-glasses-of-red-wine-a-day habit, I'm blaming a cardiologist!

3 comments:

KID, MD said...

Hey, I'm all for a healthy dose of immunologically active germs! Keep lickin' those windows, kid! I encourage mine to suck on rocks at the playground. (OK, they do that on their own - I just don't stop them. All the cute posh moms are always horrified and whip out their hand sanitizer.) Still, healthier kids than mine you'll never meet.

Sony said...

Seriously, though, isn't this a great excuse not to clean the house and use that time for more important things...like sewing?;)

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

I'm with ya there! And Katie, I remember eating dirt with spoons with my brother and sister as kids.