Monday, May 3, 2010

Camping and Boys' Shorts

Well the Cub Scout campout at Blakely State Park was a great success, if you call 80-degree weather with 100% humidity and overcast skies a success (I know I do!). It was so hot at night that we had to sleep with the tent door/window open and just the screens closed, and Lucas slept in his underwear, but that's not really an option for the mothers on the trip. You know I would've preferred to do it the BOW way, with a bottle of wine and my short PJ's, but I suffered it out in the jeans and T-shirt to avoid embarrassing anyone passing by and glancing in the tent. I DID take the bra off to maximize sleeping comfort (Hey Lucas, when did your brother get here? Oh, that's your mother).

I actually kind of have today off, so I finished Drew's shorts - yippee! Now I branched out again and did what I think is a flat-felled seam...could be a French seam...I have no idea. This is the seam allowance of the inner leg seam - look, Ma, no raw edges!


This is how it looked on the outside - a topstitching 2-for-1 - I'll definitely do this from now on.


I also did some extra topstitching like his RTW shorts, since the pattern doesn't call for any except the hem, fly, and pockets.



Based on a RTW pair I did 3 rows around the waist, which was faced, and can I tell you how much that facing sucks? I would've finished these last night but I got stuck and couldn't figure out the instructions at all. What I realized this morning is that I used a Betzina fly which is already topstitched, and they want you to wait till the end to do that, so I couldn't fold out the fly to attach to the facing. I just turned under the facing ends 1/4" then attached, understitched the seam allowance, and topstitched the facing down.



And notice there's no button on the front. For some reason they make you button it toward the inside, which always leaves an imprint on my belly - we'll see if Drew minds it. I don't understand this, except that the pattern calls for a webbed belt to be worn with it.



And notice how far away the button is from the fly edge. The buttonhole is actually like the 5th step, but I should've saved it for last in case of fitting issues. I debated adding a hook and eye closure but decided Drew won't care. I can add it later. Anybody with facing tips at the fly? I couldn't find anything in Power Sewing. You may also notice I have trouble with my zipper going all the way to the top on the right front. I'm sure there's a point where I'm supposed to cut it off and finish it nicely. Hmm....

1 comment:

Junior said...

very nice & professional looking!