Monday, May 24, 2010

Monday Morning Update

We had a great weekend with my mom and step-dad at the beach! This is how the dog does a boat ride when any kind of speed is involved. (Hold me, Mimi - I'm a-skeered!)

If you cover him with a towel he likes it even better. (Tell me when it's over, Pawpaw.)


Now I want you to get hold of yourselves, because here's the swimsuit muslin, and it ain't pretty! (But it does hurt me more than it hurts you.) We'll start slow so you can change your mind if you get nervous.

I'm having a problem with my elastic. If I cut it flat with the guide then stretch to fit as I sew, it looks like this with no gathering at all and it gapes on me.


If I stretch it way out it looks better, but I have too much and I think I shouldn't cut that long a piece.


And it's hard to be very consistent with the stretching - see how one spot is very gathered and another isn't?


(Deep breaths through your nose if you feel sick...) So here's the first bikini cup - note that the casing for the tie is too large. They said turn up 1" and thread the tie through, but that's way too much. I know my necktie is twisted.


(Danger Will Robinson! Danger Will Robinson! Proceed at your own risk! Management not responsible! Lifeguard not on duty! Items in mirror may be smaller than they appear!)



If you haven't run to the bathroom, I will say that the bottom coverage seems reasonable. (Dean may beg to differ - he suggested a boy-short, actually.) This was the highest-waisted one, so we're certainly not going to hide the bagel-top but you don't have to see ALL the stretch marks. (And who invited the love handles to the party? Now I just need a big hairy mole!) I like to think that the love handles got squeezed out there because the waist was too tight, and when I fix that, they'll melt back onto the hip fat and be hidden.

Now here's another elastic story: I cut a size 18 bottom but stretched the elastic when I cut it, so it actually was a size 12 flat. Well you just can't do that. So I didn't think I'd get this on until a couple of stitches popped, so it is obviously too tight. And there wasn't enough elastic for both legs (again suggesting I don't know what I'm doing), so I cut it in half and applied one side, then realized this was a waste of time because it was too tight, so the other leg is unfinished.

So, anybody with suggestions on whether to stretch elastic or not when cutting? And if you need psychotherapy after seeing this, sorry 'bout that and send me the bill.

10 comments:

KID, MD said...

For swimwear, I am not that helpful, but I can comment on the elastic thing. I have found pattern elastic guides to be so variable as to be completely useless. They never seem to be the right length. Rather than using the guide, I would measure the elastic to fit you (snugly, like a swimsuit), and then stretch it as your sew. And throw away all elastic guides in the future. My only swimwear advice is to get the Kwik Sew swimwear book. The styles are sad, but the methods are the best in the 'biz. Also, that fabric is freaking amazing - even cooler as a swimsuit than it was as the Mardi Gras dress. And that's sayin' something!

gwensews said...

Ditto Katie's comment. The KwikSew books should answer your questions about elastic. Nice job though, on this first try.

auntninn said...

I have no help to give you on sewing swimsuits so I will leave you with a comment about how brave you are to sew one yourself and post pictures. Bravo, Sister!

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

God bless you women for hanging in there with me! Brave? No. Mad-Cowish? Yes!

I will look for the Kwik Sew book, and will definitely measure the elastic on me instead of following the guide - thanks for the tips!!!

The next pictures will look better...or better-sewn I should say.

Home's Jewels said...

Kwik Sew instructions for bottoms are wonderful (actually for all swimsuits I have done - about 3 or 4 styles). They have you sew the elastic unstretched around the front and then stretched in the back (we need tighter elastic by our rear end). I've only sewn swimsuit patterns from KS and their elastic requirements were amazingly right on each time!

I think on PR you asked if you needed swimsuit elastic if you won't be in chlorine. I wouldn't worry about it.

Pam said...

I think it is a great start...I just bought some Hawaiian Lycra fabric...I am thinking of a bikini but leaning toward a wrap...I love your fabricchoice...metallics are so in this season.

Junior said...

Holy Cow! You go girl! I like the fabric as well.
Also love the photos of Jake hiding out.....that poor baby was just missing his Aunt Junior.

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Hey, let's watch it with the name calling there, Junior! I DO have feelings.

sewistafashionista said...

I haven't tried swimsuits though I have the Kwik-Sew book. I think I haven't tried them because I hate trying them on in stores.

Your fabric is fun and hey- your hoo-ha's weren't hanging out! I think you have a great first try and I love your commentary on the posted photos.

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Well, they don't hang out because they're more hee-hee's than hoo-ha's!