Sunday, May 16, 2010

Jalie 2805 - Done!

Well I don't know that I've ever completed a garment in one day from cutting out the pattern to sewing the hem - hooray! But this was fraught with difficulties, otherwise this would be a one-hour shirt (well, maybe for Katie).

The problems started with my fabric - I had a white rib knit I really liked, but when I laid out the pattern pieces the sleeves didn't fit - gack! Well, the measuring tape told me that they short-changed me 5 inches when they cut the fabric - AAARGH! But it still looked weird so I measured the other way, and it turns out this particular knit is somewhere around 48 inches wide - and here I assumed they were all 60"! Imagine my surprise!

The nice thing about having a little stash now is that I just pulled out another rib knit I got on clearance for $2.99 and forged ahead. Then came the next problem. Now I'm making view C which is the V-neck, so which pattern piece should I use?



I read about this problem on PR, but I thought the reviewer said to go with the picture instead of the words. So I cut that piece, hold it up to see how low-cut it will be, and carefully tape it to the bottom piece (this has 4 neckline variations so the front is in 2 pieces). Then I'm wondering why there's a little tab jutting out of center front, which is when I realize this is the wrong neckline. (Why did I tape it to hell and back?)

Now we're back on track with the right pattern pieces all cut out and I decide to try out my walking foot for the first time. Here she is:


Now she freaks me out a little because she makes funny noises. (Think Forrest Gump running with his leg braces - "Ah mye be stupid Jen-nay, but ah know what a slippery knit is.) Only problem is, if the fabric isn't on BOTH walking feet, it disappears into the throat of the machine - YUMMY! (Remember I had this problem with my last knit top?) This is what I end up with if I try to do the 1/4" seam allowance called for.


So I just have to move the fabric over like so, yielding a beautiful seam, but with about a 1/2" seam allowance.


Well, anyway, it all works out and the shirt goes together lickety-split - Look Ma, no wrinkles or gaping at the neckline!

However, the sleeves are snug as Jalie's apparently usually are, and what up with the extra fabric at the waist? (I've got saddlebags, but definitely not lovehandles!)


Well, what up is that I tapered from a size U at the waist to a size V at the hips, and when I was sewing that seam it did something funky. You can see it from the back too, plus I apparently have a sway back.


So I'm going to try this again with a larger size I guess - definitely will enlarge the armholes and sleeves. But that V-neck is just so dang cute - now I wish I could find a cute knit print so I can get away from boring solids.

5 comments:

Sheila said...

You are so funny. That is such a great color on you. The top looks like it fits nicely, as for the saddlebags.. what if you tapered in a little in the side seams.

gwensews said...

Did you check the stretch of your fabric and compare to the pattern recommendation? Rib knits usually stretch out funkily. (Funkily?)

KID, MD said...

This pattern totally messed with my head as well. Those pictures - why would they do that??? I was going to say what gwen did about rib knits - I hate sewing them! But then, I don't have a walking foot, and your tee looks pretty nice, so maybe that is the secret...

sewistafashionista said...

I am so envious of your perfect knit v-neck. The shirt looks very nice.

You complained about the fit at the sides. I am shortwaisted and often have the extra material in horizontal folds as in your photos.

Though you do not appear short-waisted, this particular pattern may be too longwaisted for you. Can you tuck in at the "shorten or lengthen here" mark and shorten the waist thereby elimating those folds. Then add extra length at the hem as desired.

While wearing your top pinch out and measure how much to take in. Then do a quick and dirty practice muslin with cheap fabric. That is if you want to devote that much to this pattern. The neckline, shoulders and overall proportion were terrific on you. This could be a classic.

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Thank you guys for the suggestions! They didn't recommend any specific fabric other than to stretch a certain amount, and unfortunately I have a thing for rib knits, so there's more in the stash to be sewn, but I will definitely use the walking foot.

And I am definitely short-waisted Sewista, so I will try your suggestion of shortening the length at the waist, because I love the style of this shirt so I want to make more.