Thursday, May 27, 2010

Nests in My Boyshorts...Uh, Let Me Rephrase...

My brother asked me if I was going to start charging for the blog, since I was posting such scantily-clad pictures - he said I might make enough to buy lunch at Chick-Fil-A. (Do they have a dollar menu?)

Today I got the Simplicity 3566 boyshorts underway. Now what is it with my bobbin thread? I may as well be sewing nests for homeless birds with the way my bobbin is acting. What is UP? I stuck a woven under there and did the same stitch - no nest. Bizarre. This warrants a phone call to someone who owns a sewing store.



And what is up with boyshorts? I have to google some RTW ones, because I don't remember my old ones waving in the breeze like real shorts. I need to go down a size in the leg, I guess. I took a larger seam allowance and that helped a little, but they're nowhere near my thigh. If I sit and put my feet up you can probably tell my religion!



I'm very sad that these don't go down any farther in the back - I'm trying to brainstorm ways to add length. (Want some cottage cheese with your dinner?) I'm thinking about a Jalie-type band around the bottom to get an inch added to the hem....some type of Hong-Kong finish (careful - illegal in some states).



Anyway, I'll probably have enough fabric to do a bikini bottom too, so I'll see which one looks better on a pear. And looking at these pictures has actually rekindled a desire to exercise. I actually CONSIDERED working out at the YMCA during karate....but you know, Lucas was belt-testing and sparring....I just couldn't miss that!

6 comments:

marysews said...

I'm thinking of making those swim shorts, too. I guess this means I will have to measure the pattern and analyze the stretch before I start them.

auntninn said...

At the sewing class I just took where they offered to sell us MANY lovely things the instructor said birds nesting was due to a tension problem in your UPPER thread. I don't know if it's too loose or too tight, but fiddle with the upper and see if it helps.

KID, MD said...

Those are cute, but they definitely don't look like boy shorts... You're smaller than you think. Swimwear should have negative ease.

sewistafashionista said...

I see a sense of humor runs in your family:) Wow, I could never get any of my brothers to read my sewing blog. They would look at me like I had three heads!

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Bingo, KID! I've got to size down - other reviewers said the same thing. I'll work on that today. So Mary - size down!

And Lynn - I've tried messing with the upper tension but couldn't tell any difference. I need to mess with it some more.

Sewista - he reads because it started more as a family blog, but then it morphed to this because I got obsessed and realized you people could help me!

gwensews said...

Cute shorts! Usually, nesting means a tension problem, top OR bobbin. Also, sometimes it's caused by the needle not be absolutely, perfectly inserted.