Friday, April 30, 2010

A Visit to Ely's Fabric Warehouse

Well, I ALMOST met someone from patternreview.com today! Nancy2001 lives here, which is mind-boggling because I just visited her blog last week after reading a comment on patternreview. Her blog had me laughing, but her last post was almost a year ago - I think she needs to start it up again. Anyway, she commented under that last Mad Cow post about possibly standing behind me in line at Hancock's today, and that I looked much younger in person (Nancy, if you see me for real in Hancock's you'll be saying, "Really? ONLY 42?"). Unfortunately, I was still at work, but I BET we'll run into each other at Hancock's sometime - you know there's a sale next week on Simplicity patterns!


Anyway, a belated welcome to Mobile, Nancy, and I was going to review Ely's on patternreview when I get a chance. If you haven't been there, it's in the Crichton area on Springhill Avenue. It takes almost the whole block but parking is a nightmare right on the street - be careful backing up!



You can probably see that this is a big old store - I mean really old - with bolts of fabric just thrown higgledy-piggeldy (wonder how you really spell that) all over the place. There is some organization to it at times - they're stacked up on the floor or hung on the wall - but you'll see when you walk in that the bolts are blocking the walkways - you have to step over them to let people pass right inside the front door.



This is Mardi Gras and wedding headquarters, apparently, because the 2 huge rooms of apparel fabric are mostly filled with specialty stuff. I did NOT find a plain cotton knit to make more shirts today. She did have a beautiful red stretch wool, but you'd have to bury me in that what with our humidity. This is where I'll be shopping when I'm ready to make that bathing suit and my next Mardi Gras dress. I'm liking that sequined gray leopardy print below - what do you think? Perfect for a Cougar.



Now if you're allergic to cats, stay away, because a cat followed me around for the first 5 minutes. But I didn't smell cat pee or see any shredded fabric, so it must be well-behaved. Just adds to the character of the place.



That, and the fact that the owner lady answered a phone call from someone as I was leaving and started yelling into the phone that "I TOLD you this was the wrong number, now DON'T CALL HERE AGAIN!" Now you have a good day and come again - bu-bye!


5 comments:

nancy2001 said...

What a coincidence -- I was at Ely's yesterday looking at wool. I hadn't been to Ely's in almost a year, and whenever I visit, it's always a shock.

Ely's can best be described as the store that time forgot. If the cable show Hoarders ever branches out into the mercantile world, Ely's is ready for its closeup.

Just beyond the front door, the narrow passageway crammed with bolts of home dec fab waiting to crash down has to be seen to be believed.

And the weird warren of half a dozen tiny rooms, one leading into the next makes me think I've been spirited off to the Winchester Mystery House.

The merchandise is strange mixture of high and low end, classic and tacky. Did you know Ely's orders their wool from B. Black, the classic mens tailoring supply house in Los Angeles?

Another surprise: Ely's has a sophisticated selection of buttons -- not the 1980's era rhinestones at the counter, but the pricey Streamline brand buttons hanging on racks in the middle of the selling floor.

And Ely's carries a nice selection of good quality Handler interfacing, which is impossible to find at Hancock and Joann.

But as jammed packed as Ely's is, it doesn't hold a candle to one other eccentric sewing institution -- Mobile's Lace Heaven.

auntninn said...

We have a place like that in Tucson and they actually have a big sign that says "Fabric by the pound" The deals are unbelievable if you don't mind digging. Going without Rylee is a treat. With Rylee - a headache (but worth it!)

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

My mom's told me about Lace Heaven - she went there to get a button last week and they wouldn't let her in! They do all business on the internet now for some reason.

Now Auntninn, you need a store with a cat that could keep Rylee entertained while you shop - brilliant idea!

KID, MD said...

Wow!! That place looks amazingly fun.

Kitschy Coo said...

I'm sad. There's nothing like that anywhere near me :( I would spend an enitre day there!