Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Momentary Mad Cow...Or Is It?

Yesterday I took Lucas to karate at the YMCA. I sat in the car checking emails for a few minutes then went in and walked on a treadmill for 32 minutes. I said I WALKED ON A TREADMILL for 32 minutes! I did not drop him off then run up to the fabric store to peruse the clearance fabrics. I'm trying to turn the leaf back over (it's not a new leaf) of exercising there like I was doing religiously before the skiing trip.

Anyway, after karate we walked into the parking lot...and my car was gone. There were 2 empty spaces in the shade where I parked, and a row of white cars, but none were mine. My mouth dropped open. How could this happen? (Especially since one of those white cars was an unmarked police car.) I stopped and thought this really can't be happening, the car has an alarm on it - somebody would've done something. Then I thought, my wallet is in the car (in a safe place hidden from sight!). Then I thought maybe Dean came and switched cars with me for some reason. I looked around for his car.

I finally pulled my phone out to call Dean and see what was going on, when I thought, hey, let's look around the parking lot. Sure enough, my car was one row over, facing the same direction, in the shade. DOH!

Well, I got a glimpse of my future today when I visited a friend of my mother's. She has Alzheimer's but has known about it for a long time and is well aware of what's going on. She sent me 2 cards in the mail over the past 3 weeks, but when I walked in today she didn't know who I was. I said, "I'm Lynn - Sherry's daughter." Maybe a little flicker of recognition, then we started talking about my kids and she seemed to remember me. When I asked how she was doing, she said, "Well, I don't know what's going on, but otherwise I'm fine. I can sit here and talk to you like this fine but when you leave I'll forget you were here in 5 minutes." She's told many people that if they ever need to confide in someone about sensitive subjects to call her because she'll counsel and pray with them, then forget the whole conversation. (Good to know your sense of humor remains intact with Alzheimer's!)

I'll share with you the 2 main things on my mind today - 1) would I rather have Alzheimer's or cancer, and 2) if I'm in a wreck today who will pick up the kids, since my mom and Dean are both out of town. Now I'm vaklempt, so discuss amongst ya-selves...

8 comments:

Pam said...

HaHa - regarding your "oops" moment - I have lots of those too - mostly because my brain is normally full of the million other things I'm thinking about!

I'd say no to either - although Alzheimer's seems worse on the family. . .

I wouldn't worry!

gwensews said...

Well, I feel this way about it Dr. I DON'T WANT ANYTHING-OK? And, if I'm feeling good, I don't want my physician to go poking around on me, dragging something up, either! Leave well enough alone!

sewistafashionista said...

I think you should have just went to the fabric clearance racks. Your mind must have been so continually distracted by this sublminal desire you had for fabric that it created a a few short term memory issues.

By the way, I lose my car all the time. I have learnt to rely on my five-year old as her mind unfettered by a myriad of responsibility is still sharp as a tack.

Don't worry about Alzheimer's or cancer. Get your kid to help. It's has taken a load off of my mind!

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

That's it - fabric withdrawal and brain clutter! I feel better now...and totally justified in hitting that fabric store tomorrow! Thanks!

Mom said...

Well, my sweetpea, I wouldn't worry if I were you. Your brain is indeed trying to process so-o-o-o much information that it indeed gets overloaded from time to time. I'll share with you that my brain is not overloaded in these days of retirement but to keep from losing my car (which I have done several times) I take special note of the row in which I parked. So far I have not had to use the key fob to make my car horn start honking.............but that day is probably coming. Gotta just keep that sense of humor!

nancy2001 said...

Hi Lynn, I believe I was standing directly behind you on line at Hancock's in Mobile today (4/30) at 11 am. You and your friend were buying several yards of grey netting.

I discovered your blog last week after you posted a comment on patternreview about attending the Sandra Betzina seminar.

My name is Nancy, I live in Mobile, I taught myself to sew four years ago, and I participate on patternreview as nancy2001. Here's a link to my profile page on patternreview --
http://sewing.patternreview.com/members/nancy2001

I would have introduced myself, but I wasn't sure it was you -- you look much younger in person than in your photos. But when I returned home I and looked at your blog again, I realized it almost certainly was you.

Anyway, it's nice to see that other women in Mobile love to sew, too.

Nancy

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Hey Nancy! I actually went to YOUR blog from patternreview last week and left a comment...then I noticed the post was from 2009, so you might not have seen it. I especially loved your Ralph Nader post - you need to start blogging again!

There's a reason I looked younger in person - I was actually still at work and that wasn't me. But I WAS in Ely's Fabrics at about 12 noon. Would've been funny to see what the lady said if you talked to her - LOL! I'll look for you in Hancock from now on - nice to "meet" you!

nancy2001 said...

Oh how funny! It's a good thing I wasn't sure. The woman was six feet tall, slim, and had straight blond hair cut just below the chin. One of these days you may run into her at Hancock's, too.

Had you been at Ely's yesterday, you actually might have seen me there looking through their wool fabrics. In some ways, Mobile is a very small town.

I'm glad you enjoyed the Ralph Nader story. I probably should start the blog up again, but it's so much more fun to just hang out on PR.

Anyway, I've enjoyed reading your blog posts, and I'm impressed with your rapidly developing sewing skills.

Nancy