Monday, April 26, 2010

Weekend Update


Jakey had a pretty good weekend except for the terrible storms that rolled through on Saturday. He saw the bird on the pole in the background and raced through the grass into the water before he remembered that he didn't like to swim, despite being a labrador mix. He said, "I could get that bird if I wanted to, Mommy. I just don't want to." Some geese showed up Sunday morning and he tore after them, then realized they weren't leaving and were honking at him loudly, at which time he hollered, "Oh, uh, never mind. Just wanted to say hello." He was running out on the dock with Dean when a huge bolt of lightning struck over the water and he froze in his tracks, then turned tail and hot-footed it back up to the house in a panic. And every clap of thunder Saturday made him yell, "Hey Mommy, I didn't know if you knew the devil was out here - can you let me in? Hey Mommy? Daddy?"

When we got home I started cutting out Drew's shorts and reading over the instructions. This Simplicity pattern has the most messed up way of putting in a zipper, so I'm adding the fly pattern piece to the center front and just cutting it out as one piece so I can do the usual Betzina way. Does anybody actually follow these instructions for fly-front zippers? I'm curious!

And sorry, no SNL links - we went to bed early and I didn't see anything funny enough to link in the first 30 minutes. If I Hulu it and find something worthwhile I'll let'cha know. But put next Saturday on your calendars because BETTY WHITE is hosting - oh MY!

3 comments:

gwensews said...

Most pattern instructions suck. There are much better directions and tutorials in books, on the Interent, videos.

KID, MD said...

I'm with Gwen. I completely ignore Big 4 instructions, and only follow Burda about 1/3 of the time. I'll never use them to put in any zipper again. When I teach my sewing group about zippers I tell them to completely ignore what it says in the pattern. It scares them a little...

Junior said...

Okay, I wrote in my calendar book that Betty is hosting SNL Saturday & will TiVo it.
Poor Jakey and the weather!