Sunday, April 11, 2010

Back Home...

What a lovely week at the beach, besides a couple of days of chilliness and overcast-ness. Here are some of the photos (sorry the first one is dark, and the others show more detail if you click on them...not that you want any more detail since we're not wearing makeup):

My sweatshop - how nice to sew in a room with a view of water where you can throw the door open to catch a breeze!

But my poor baby skipped stitches and didn't want to zigzag too well on my sister's shirt.

It still turned out okay, though she didn't want to pose without makeup...

Okay, I talked her into wearing sunglasses and posing...

Hey, Tracey, I missed the fact that your right shoulder is higher than your left (unless you were posing that way). Perceptive seamstress I am, huh!

See, my hips aren't really that wide - I was just posing that way. (It's my favorite pose.) This is the pink too-young-for-a-42-year-old shirt I made. The fabric was WAAAYYYYY too stretchy and I had to take about 3 inches off the side seams. Wish I could've taken some out of the center front, but that was cut on the fold, so things were not as snug as I'd like there. (But just small things that don't cause a lot of commotion when they're dangling freely, so no biggie.)

I actually kind of like the back - the top part is made of two ties that you knot and the bottom has a little keyhole where the ties are. Kind of cute. I even remembered to sunscreen that place!

And it wasn't ALL sewing - we did have some fun, as evidenced by the hole to China dug by Lucas and Parker, and the 3 tiny boys on the tube far in the distance screaming for their lives under what appear to be very stormy skies (they weren't, Mother, relax; though that brings back the memory of you running down the pier at Lake Martin last year screaming "GET OUT OF THAT WATER!!!!" when it was lightning. Good times, good times.).

7 comments:

KID, MD said...

Looks like y'all had fun!! I'm sorry your SM is misbehaving, but I do recognize that fabric! I made a Jalie Sweetheart top out of it. :-)

Ann Made Studio said...

Very nice tops.
I love the pink one, the fabric is perfect :)

gwensews said...

I see your sister shares your sense of humor! The photo with her hair over her face looks like the dude on Adams Family! What a great vaca!

Junior said...

Oh for pete's sake.....I thought you were going to trim the picture so my pajama bottoms weren't showing. Is my butt really that big?! Am enjoying my new shirt though. Really like the pink top you made.....maybe I can send you some fabric for that pattern!

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

@Junior - sorry, I thought that was the outside picture I was supposed to crop and I didn't use it. My bad! No, your butt doesn't look as big as my hips. And yes, go to Hancock or Joann and get me a description of the fabric you like so I can get it and make you another shirt - I owe you 2 now! (Or send 1-1 1/8 yard of something for the tank.)

@Gwen - yeah - she was channeling Cousin It. (They're creepy and they're kooky; mysterious and spooky; they're altogether ooky...the Arnold family [our maiden name])

@KID - are you talking about the black/white or the pink that you used - I'll have to check your blog!

@Ann - Thanks - I was right happy with the pink one since my machine was gimpy. I'll post a review in a couple of days.

Pam said...

Wow! Looks like you had a relaxing and well-needed time away. I love what you have accomplished! Fantastic!

Sheila said...

What a good laugh at the end of a hard work day... your sister is too funny. Despite the wonky stitches the top looks great on her.

Thanks for visiting my site and the lovely compliment on my skirt. Looking forward to visiting your site... I see a lot of laughter.