Sunday, February 28, 2010

Question for the Sewists...

So Sandra Betzina is coming to Mobile for a 3-day "sewing retreat" where you pay $350 (what?) and get to pick the Vogue patterns of your choice, alter them with her help, choose your fabric and sew as many garments as you can with her. It says she has fitting tester garments or something suggesting you try on things to see what you need to alter. Now I'd say WOW, but it starts at 2 PM every day and goes "until???" which I guess means you leave when you get tired or the store closes.

Has anybody ever been to one of these? I can't imagine why it costs so much (other than you're getting Sandra Betzina's help, hello!), so I'm thinking about going but I don't want to waste my time or money if it's just a lecture. Plus I'll have to arrange for childcare after school. Plus I may miss dinner with the family.

There's also a "trunk show" where she shows you stuff she made. Huh...don't know what I'd learn from that but it's only $30! Sign me up! Seriously, I'd appreciate your thoughts and feelings on courses like these you may have been to in the past.

2 comments:

KID, MD said...

I haven't been, but Sandra Betzina is a-may-zing! I've learned so much from her books and online videos, I can't imagine how awesome it would be to learn from her in person. I would so go to that!! As for the trunk show - probably worth it for 30 bucks, although her personal style is VERY different from mine. If you could really take a look at the construction of the clothes thought, you cold learn a ton!

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Yeah - big style differences! I did google her Vogue patterns and there actually were several that I liked way better than what's in Power Sewing, so I may check it out.