Friday, February 19, 2010

Snowmobiling Anyone?


Look at this snow - it's been snowing every day since we got here. Here's a shot of the snowmobiles lined up at our viewpoint of the Continental Divide - hey, I've heard of that place.

And this company was cool because they let the kids drive in an open meadow - yikes! This is Lucas, who turned out to be a speed demon and nearly threw his mother off the back of the thing with a sudden acceleration. Drew was more conservative with his driving and even deferred the second time - takes after his mother.

One awkward moment on the way there - we were in the shuttle with a talkative couple who wanted to know where we were from, then the man said he'd been to every state except 3, and Alabama was one. He didn't feel the need to go there since so many Alabamians still remembered "the recent unpleasantness." I was thinking, "Lord, why would he bring something awful up in front of the kids?" Dean and I clam up and he says that he's referring to the Civil War - huh? Luckily a woman from Georgia was there to jump in and talk about how she's still considered a Yankee. People are odd....hey, tell me where you're from and I'll think of something ugly to say about it.

And one amazing thing - Drew was in ski school the last day with a 10-year-old boy from....Alabama.....Mobile actually....who goes to the same school! What are the chances???

3 comments:

Junior said...

You should have answered the guy with, "yes, we're from Alabama where I recently finished serving time at Julia Tutwiler for killing a man with my bare hands. That's why I have this bruise on my forehead....."

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Why don't I think of these lines?!

Junior said...

oh it took me a good 10 minutes to think of something clever...