Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Something Funny Happened at the Red Light...

On Sunday we were stopped at a red light at the busiest intersection in Alabama (according to a study a few years back), and I noticed a man in an empty parking lot wrapping a chain around his front bumper. It was partially torn off the front of his van, and I assumed he was securing it so he could drive. I was thinking how he looked like Santa Claus with his big belly and long white beard, then I noticed that his belly was hanging out substantially from under his shirt - yuck. Then he turned around and I noticed his pants were riding quite low - crackalackingly low. By then the kids had noticed him, and he got in the van to drive off. Surprisingly, he took off in reverse quite forcefully, and we noticed that the chain was in fact tied from his bumper to a large metal pole holding up a billboard. Hmmm, what a novel approach to ridding one's vehicle of an unwanted accessory!

This forceful reverse doesn't have the desired effect on the wonky bumper, so he gets out again and proceeds to bend over the bumper, mooning the whole intersection (have I mentioned there are 5 lanes just in my quadrant of the intersection, all staring at him now). This is when the car erupts into cries of "Do you have a camera?" and "Get your phone! Where's your phone?" Drew and I simultaneously reached for the phone to record the moment (for posterity), but the light turned green, so I don't have anything to post.

I wonder if you can win money on America's Funniest Home Videos if it's not actually a video of your own family...

No comments: