Monday, February 15, 2010

New Orleans Mardi Gras


Well, this is what happens when you walk around the French Quarter the weekend before Mardi Gras - you find Elvis(es)! There were also scantily-clad dancing women posing for pictures, but I wasn't so interested in that. We had lots of fun and ate some good food, then had a wonderful time at Endymion.

This is my lovely neighbor Ann whose husband rode with Dean on the float. As you can see, my drape was a nonissue because of the beads, but the bodice also appears to be a nonissue, since it looks like I'm not WEARING anything under the beads - I would've enjoyed a little more coverage (as would the rest of the crowd, I'm sure).


Now I have to qualify that "wonderful time" a bit. They throw mighty big beads in New Orleans, and if you don't keep up a defensive stance, you'll get pegged. Which is what happened to my forehead with a BAG of huge beads. You can see 3 lumps if you look hard, and I later found more on my left temple and the top of my head. The odd discoloration is due to an icepack I guess, but luckily the mascara didn't run - hell YES, I cried. And I wasn't the only one: Ann suffered an eyebrow gash that bled, Dominique suffered a lip abrasion, Joanne thought she broke her finger, the list goes on and on. Somebody lined us all up for a picture, but between the concussion and the champagne I can't remember who.

4 comments:

KID, MD said...

Wow, who'd have thought beads could be so hazardous?? At least you looked awesome!

Lisa Stone said...

looks like you guys had a great time...and the dress looks great! I would love to actually make something I could wear--maybe this Christmas when my mom suggests a sewing machine(for the 14th year straight) I will not roll my eyes and refuse!

Junior said...

Lookin' lovely!

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Oh Lisa, take her up on it! You'll feel like Tom Hanks in Castaway: "I....have made clothes!". My forehead is now greenish-brown; need to take a pic of that. Very lovely!