Sunday, October 27, 2013

Mesa Grill Food and the AC Shirt

Home from the meeting, which was mostly spent in a 40-degree conference room in the dark looking at Powerpoints, but I did take a short break at lunch to sit by the pool...in my business casual (I took the suit jacket off), surrounded by bathing-suit-clad people sipping fruity drinks - so jealous!


My former resident and I did venture outside the hotel for dinner at Bobby Flay's Mesa Grill in Ceasar's Palace across the street. I was trying to get the statues in the fountain along with the Roman soldier posing with the people on the right, but I didn't quite succeed.


We started with margaritas. Mine is the fuschia Cactus Pear margarita - yum! - and Susan had the White Peach, I think.


And on to the food! We opted for a couple of appetizers each, instead of 2 heavy entrees. Susan got the tuna "nachos," which was really tuna tartare with several sauces and some house-made chips in a bowl.


I got the smoked chicken and gouda quesadillas, which was probably the blandest dish of the night, but still delicious.


Next I had the lobster tacos - 3 tiny 2-bite size taco shells with lobster and a bunch of other stuff I forgot. Delicious (I really wanted to keep the little metal rack they were sitting in)...


But I think the big winner of the evening was Susan's blue corn pancake with BBQ duck - also a favorite according to Trip Advisor. So, I declare it delicious food at reasonable prices for Vegas.


And now for something completely different...I nearly finished my Alabama Chanin corset - just have to bind the neckline and armholes. So I actually did take 1 3/4" off the front shoulder straps to pull the neckline up slightly, but it still ended up a little puckery, so I may use some clear elastic there when binding. I think it fits pretty well, despite accidentally cutting a larger size in back than front - the armholes ended up okay.


I definitely needed a swayback adjustment, but I'm really thinking I like the T-shirt silhouette better for a Mardi Gras dress. There are fewer seams so it'll go quicker, plus I think I'll use a different stencil like Angie's Fall or something more interesting than Bloomers.


And I definitely need a handsewn cotton skirt to go with this, now...the sewing queu is getting longer! (Did I mention that I actually started the 2nd sleeve of my knitted jacket - progress!)

9 comments:

Pam said...

Oh mi! I saw your Vegas' posts late -- I would have recommended a day at the Spa -- I've been to Ceasars (different levels heat spas and Ice and Steam rooms). I hear I think the Venetian is fantastic as well. I've never been able to get a reservation at Mesa Grill -- although I hear it's fantastic -- glad to get some recommendations! Congratulations on a productive trip! Nothing like continuing education credits.

BeckyW said...

The food looks incredible. I am jealous much!!

Love the way your top turned out!

BeckyW said...

The food looks incredible. I am jealous much!!

Love the way your top turned out!

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Gotta have the CME's, Pam - if only I had a day to do something else! The meeting was 7:30 AM to 5'ish, except for Saturday, when I left at 10 to catch a plane - bleh.

Thanks, Becky - I think it'll look better when I get the binding on...

Anonymous said...

Love the top! and yes you do need a skirt to go with. I"m working on the rose shawl from the 1st book. Right now I"m playing with the stencil placement.

Robbie

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Ooh - cant wait to see it - send me a pic!

Ann Made Studio said...

Sounds like it was a fun trip :)
Your top looks great! You did a fantastic job . I want to try this technique, but it is on my growing to do list. Hope to get to it soon.
(You could add a panel, in the front, done with the same technique, I do that often to my tops. )

Ann Made Studio said...

Sounds like it was a fun trip :)
Your top looks great! You did a fantastic job . I want to try this technique, but it is on my growing to do list. Hope to get to it soon.
(You could add a panel, in the front, done with the same technique, I do that often to my tops. )

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Thanks, Ann! I thought about the panel, but I've used all the fabric that was dyed. I may try 2 rows of binding and see what happens....