Sunday, October 20, 2013

The Ducktor is In!

I finished my Donald Duck costume - hooray! I made a whole shirt in about 2 hours - unheard of in this house! Here's my inspiration:


This is the only picture on the internet where his stripes are white instead of yellow, so I'm claiming it since I didn't have fabric to make yellow stripes. I was going to use the very Burda shirt I made a few years ago, but I needed a drape around the neck, and that fabric didn't match, so I just made a whole new shirt. I drafted a little pattern for the drape...


And finished the neckline by sewing those together - that was the hardest part, because it was wrong side to right side - duh!


Obviously didn't make a swayback adjustment, and it hasn't seen an iron yet.


And voila! Complete with duck quacker courtesy of Lucas, who saved it from a Duck Boat tour in Boston - God bless that little hoarder!


I pulled out my beloved but neglected cover stitch to do this shirt, and I even set the shoulders in flat using it. Just pinned it, didn't even baste it on the regular machine, since it's a ribbed knit, which that machine eats. Of course, I'm going to overlook the one pucker I got on each shoulder, and I think Becky can still be proud of me. Now I may redo the hat to make it poofier in the front, but that's if I have time - did I mention I leave Wednesday for a conference in Vegas? (Work related, not sewing - boo.)

11 comments:

Junior said...

Oh my! And wear did you find yellow tights?

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Got those at Party City in the "color" section - not the back costume room, and they're high quality, shockingly!

BeckyW said...

I love, Love, LOVE your costume!!! That is so cute!! You did a great job. The kids are going to love it. Great job!!

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

High praise from the costume expert - thank you so much, Becky!

Pam said...

Oh my gosh! How cute is that? I love it on you --- adorable and creative!

Ann Made Studio said...

Oh it looks awesome! Good job....the kids will love this!

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Thanks, ladies! I forgot to mention that I lined the shorts with white "cling-free" polyester so the fleece wouldn't stick to the tights. They feel luxurious now!

Anonymous said...

That is so dang cute!!! I love it! I'm busy with Annakin and Ahsoka for the 2 oldest grandkids. The 3rd on is going to be Princess Leia with a previous costume. Now they three older kids are trying to get me to make a Yoda costume for the 2 yo. I don't think so....

Robbie

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

I'm trying to think how you'd even start Yoda - yikes!

Sheila said...

You looks so darn cute... awesome job.

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Thanks, Sheila!