Saturday, October 19, 2013

Hey Grandpa....Whaaaaat's For Supper?

Anybody remember that from Hee-Haw?


Not sure why they did it, other than to make you remember your childhood, because it wasn't really funny, just a rhyming description of a delicious Southern meal....hmmm. Oh, before I show you what we ate, let me warn you that it's graphic, so if you don't like hunting or seeing dead animals, get outta here quick! I'll show you my Donald Duck hat while you navigate away though.


Lucas cut up a shoebox lid and duct-taped it together for me, then we cut 2 circles of blue knit fabric....


That wouldn't staple nicely, so we hot-glued the hell out of everything...


and ended with black ribbon around the bottom. Whatcha think?


Okay, you were warned! My step-dad took Drew squirrel hunting this morning, where he killed his first (and only) squirrel! Nice shot, by the way - straight through the neck for maximum edibility.


Jim very kindly taught Drew how to skin it before bringing it home, so Dean just had to rinse it and throw it in a pot. (Yes, Tracey, I sang "Tiptoe Through the Tulips" in a very high-pitched voice when I saw this...and also "Hello My Baby," a la Bugs Bunny.)


Dean browned it in olive oil, then made a roux, and ended with a delicious squirrel and vegetable stew in the crockpot.


Tree to table - so self-sufficient!


Combine this with all the hand-sewing I've been doing around here, and it feels like we're LIVING Hee-Haw this weekend. If only Dean was smoking a corncob pipe on the porch, instead of a cigar...

4 comments:

Sheila said...

Cute hat and spot on. Kudos to your son, the stew looks delicious.

BeckyW said...

Oh my goodness, that brings back memories. I had an uncle with an old house out in the woods. We would go camping there on weekends when I was a little girl. The men would go squirrel hunting and we would have squirrel, gravy and biscuits for supper. I have so many squirrels in my backyard, and my husband loves to feed them. They are so cute when they get a whole corn cob and run around with it. I'm not sure that I could eat squirrel today.

You hat turned out really cute. I've not started on the kids Halloween costumes yet. I did make them some costumes for one of the Homecoming spirit days at school. I doubt I'll post a pattern review since one was just a painted tshirt and the other was Frankenpatterned from a couple of different patterns.

Junior said...

Precious hat! And Papaw would be so proud of Drew!

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Sheila - thanks!

Becky - cool story! We could feast every night if shooting in your yard was legal, with all the squirrels around here. We gave Jakey a little sample to motivate him to run a little harder when he's chasing them...

Tracey - did we ever eat squirrel? I don't remember them ever fixing that - just deer, turkey, and lots of fish.