Thursday, October 3, 2013

Yo - I'm Dye-in' Ova Heah!

Wow - talk about underwhelming. The shirt on the right was dyed twice (but only lived once), thinking it would end up a deeper color, but it just looks marginally violet. The one on the left went through once and looks pale violet (and certainly not "royal blue.") Hmmm...thank goodness I don't have to dye fabric for this Mardi Gras dress, since I'll be ordering it from Alabama Chanin! It said one packet could dye up to 3 yards of fabric, and since I had about a yard, I only used half the packet. Maybe that's not how that works...



Next up was making a stencil. The first book comes with a small stencil that you can remove and use to make a bigger stencil. I used some leftover posterboard the kids had for a project. Can I just say that using an exacto knife to cut posterboard is like running your nails down a blackboard? Yes, that delightful! I could order pennant felt from her website, but I'm doing this corset muslin quick and dirty just to see if it fits.



Oh, now that looks so nice - it might have been worth the effort!



Next up is cutting out the pattern pieces - I have the first set cut out of the darker shirts, but I'm trying to figure out how to fit THOSE pieces on my remaining T-shirts so they all fit. Then I'll commence to painting fabric. I'd love to get sewing on this by the weekend, but between Lucas's loose brackets and my endless lectures, it might not happen. Plus, there's that pesky tropical storm coming...

4 comments:

Pam said...

SO brave!! I'm scared to dye!! I hear it's hard to do!! Can't wait to see your final result!

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

I was just scared to ruin my washer, but it was all good!

Ann Made Studio said...

Your stencil does look nice. Anxious to see your project :)

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Thanks, Ann - more pictures to come later today! You mentioned you bought her book - are you planning something?