Sunday, October 6, 2013

Weekend Wrap-Up

Well, I almost have a blister on my right forefinger from felling 6 layers of fabric. I realized I should watch how close my knots are to the seam allowance as I was embroidering the leaves, and sure enough, here are 3 knots right in the path of a seam.


So far I've been able to work around them, but once I went too close to one and the needle did NOT want to go. She does recommend needle nose pliers for those times you have to coax your needle through - yikes! So here's the back sewn together but not all felled yet. Bianca recommended lowering the armholes and shortening the shoulder straps to raise the neckline (thanks, Bianca!), so I'll see if I can make that happen or not. I bet I can finagle the front, since I already cut it a different size than the back, and that didn't mess up the armholes on the tank top, at least.


Oh, but now I have ANOTHER project. My nurses are dressing up as Mickey and Minnie Mouse for Halloween, and I've been advised to be Donald Duck - really popular with the kids right now, I'm told. Uh, they don't sell that costume at Party City, or any other internet business I found in the States, so I'm going to make it myself. Now before you get all excited, I'm just going to do a blue Burda T-shirt like I already made, except make it really big and somehow get a drape around the shoulders with some yellow strips for that and the sleeves.


And I bought this white flannel on sale at Hancock yesterday to make some shorts with an elastic waistband.


I bought some yellow tights at Party City and I'll wear my white walking shoes I wore in Japan. Now to find a hat, or something I can cover with blue fabric. Oh, and I went to Pure Barre today - Sandra (Bullock, not Betzina) inspired me...although now I feel like a limp dishrag - bleh. Hope YOU had a good weekend.

11 comments:

Ann Made Studio said...

Your top is looking great. You will get so many compliments.
Love the look of this technique.

Ann Made Studio said...

Oh and kids will love Donald and Minnie :)

Pam said...

Donald sounds about perfect! congratulations on your AC project -- but pliers -- ouch!

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Thanks, guys! And I forgot the tip about wearing rubber finger tips like tellers wear for counting money - also helps pull the needle better....

BeckyW said...

That top is gorgeous!!! I've always wanted to try to make one of those. I'm so impressed with yours.

Your costume will be adorable. I think that costumes are my absolute favorite thing to sew. Jessica is going as a creepy doll. She want's a pink "doll dress" with a lot of lace. This is so far to the opposite of her personality, it really is a costume! I just have to make some overlay for Sam's purchased black robe for a pumpkin headed ghoul.

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Becky, you are the queen of costumes! I bet her dress will be so cute!

Bianca s said...

I seriously thought I was following your blog and your reviews on PR, but apparently I don't know what I am doing! I am following on Craftsy,don't want to miss the progress on the Mardi Gras dress. What paint technique are you going to use? I waited too long to get an airbrush and want to save you the headaches, or introduce you to the joy or having one.

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Bianca, I was going to do it like I did this corset, but airbrushing would be so much faster. Where did you buy yours, and how long did it take you to get it right? I also wonder where I would do it - I'm always scared to spraypaint our cars if I do it in the driveway!

Bianca s said...

I wrote a post about my airbrush with a link to the one I bought. I explained the issues I had with learning how to use it and got great results the first time I sprayed. You can buy them at Hobby Lobby and Micheal's and get a good deal with coupons, but I liked that the kit I got had everything in it and was cheaper (If you go with Amazon, I suggest you take it a hobby store and have them connect it for you. The instructions were poor.

I spray on a large table in my garage, away from the wind. There is very little over spray beyond 12 inches or so. I use cardboard to cover previously sprayed areas and things I want to protect.
If you have more questions after reading the post, let me know.

http://thanksimadethem.blogspot.com/2013/02/new-airbrush-new-possibilities.html

Sadly, I am still stitching that dress! :)

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Oh, Bianca, thank you so much for the link to that - very helpful! And that dress is going to be GORGEOUS!!!

Bianca s said...

Thanks! You are welcome!