Thursday, May 5, 2011

Sewing Class

Oh, the class was delightful as expected! Now if you ever sign up for this class and they tell you it starts at 12, you should come around 10:30 to set up your machine and maybe walk across the street for a delicious chicken salad sandwich at Tropical Smoothie. I found this out last year when I walked in 10 minutes early and was the last person to arrive.

We each got measured and went to Sandra for sizing and alteration instructions. Since I had my muslin made I went back for more instructions - she suggested taking 1/2" out horizontally from the front just above the armhole notch. I honestly haven't tried it on yet to see what it looks like now. But I did learn how to do a collar and stand, a sleeve placket, and how to ease the sleeve cap by holding your finger behind the foot as you sew (this is mentioned in the pattern but some PR reviewers complained they didn't understand the technique, so I'm ahead of the game now).

This is Sandra demonstrating her placket technique - doesn't it look intense?! It actually was fun sewing with 15 other women and sharing horror stories and sewing tips...


until the sex talk started, which actually happened last year a little bit. This group was larger than last year, so some ladies were happy to contribute and share stories. The rest of us concentrated really hard on our machines at that point or clustered around the ironing board till that conversation was over. (Awkward!)

Other than that, it was a fabulous class and I'm depressed I couldn't do the lecture/demo. One lady said she learned more today at that than last night sewing the shirt - dangit! (This was her first year and I thought she was younger than me - Sandra even told her she shouldn't have any figure issues since she was so young - then she told me she was 51! I forgot to ask if she'd been using Meaningful Beauty...)

And here's my friend Robbie from Gulf Shores - look at her fabulous-fitting shirt! I want to use the Power Toolbox tip from Volume 1 that says, "Schedule a sewing day with a friend. Pick up coffee and pastries on the way to her house, then chat over breakfast before you bring your sewing machine in." Except I would rewrite it, "Set up your sturdy sewing tables on the beach. Don't forget sunscreen, and ignore all weird looks from strangers when you begin sewing." Oh, and a shout-out to Becky from Mobile, who sat in front of me and turned around to ask me if I had a blog (nothing makes you feel more like a movie star than someone recognizing you from your blog). She apparently googled SB to see what to bring to class and I popped up. I'll have to start wearing sunglasses in public...well, maybe just in Hancock.


I hope to work on my real shirt tomorrow after work, so maybe I'll get some pictures up then. Oh, and I voted about 50 times for Haley last night, as well as James (who was pitchy). Scotty and Lauren also did great...goodbye Jacob!

7 comments:

KID, MD said...

So jealous!!! I may get to sew with my groupies, but you get Sandra Betzina!! So. darn. cool.

BeckyW said...

What a great class!! So nice to meet you. You'll have to wear those sunglasses in Hancock's and JoAnn's! So much fun to sit-and-sew with everyone. Sandra was just incredible -- loved her. I can't believe I got so much done. I am a pokey sewer. I'll be back next year --- pant's fitting class.

sewistafashionista said...

It sounds like you had a great time!

Ann Made Studio said...

Sounds like so much fun.

How are you finding that cream? :)
Does it work.

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Becky!! You have an official profile pic!! So nice to meet you - I'm a pokey sewer too - that's the perfect term for it. I'd love to see your finished shirt - your fabric was so nice. Hope to see you in a fabric store sometime, or certainly next year!

Ann - I'll get a photo of the cream results - I'm loving it, but it takes discipline to use 3 facial creams twice a day! Wish I was this committed to exercising...

Pam said...

I love the video btw, so funny (and true). I am very impressed with your Sandra Betzina class. Wow!! I have a blouse sloper class coming up at the end of June. BTW, I have nominated you for the Stylish Blogger award (even though it took me months to post it!).....Pam

Sheila said...

Glad you had a great time.