Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mother's Day Weekend Wrap-up

I hope all you mothers had a lovely weekend. I'm still having a lovely weekend, with my fancy gourmet dinner cooked by Chef Dean coming up shortly. I didn't have time to sew on my shirt Friday after work - I just got the kids and headed to the beach with my mom and stepdad. Dean was at Jazzfest in New Orleans for a boys' weekend (apparently they didn't dress up and take pictures like Kristy and I did for Lady Gaga).

Saturday we headed to The Track in Gulf Shores for some putt-putt action (watch out for the ducks that sit on the green....and poop).


After that we moseyed over to Lulu's for lunch on the Intracoastal Waterway, and saw this really nice old boat go by. Never saw one like that before.


Then back to finish up the go-cart action.


We took my mom out for a nice dinner at the Villagio Grill at The Wharf, then did a little fishing today before coming home. I got a nice note from Drew, a jigsaw puzzle with a Mother's Day sentiment from Lucas (yes, 3rd grade teachers continue the tradition of making gifts in class!), and beautiful roses from Dean.


Oh, and I got THIS from Pammie! Thank you, Pammie!


Now I'm supposed to tell you some things about myself and nominate 10 more bloggers, but I'll have to think about that a bit. For now, I'll just show you some terrible pictures of my shirt muslin, how about that? This is THE PAGE where Sandra sketched my alterations based on measurements and what I told her about RTW fitting issues.


Here is the muslin with sleeves and collar. Uh, I told her the wrong thing about my RTW. I assumed it was narrow shoulders, but it's apparently something else, because I didn't get rid of the wrinkles coming down toward the bust. I'm thinking I need to recut the pattern - remember I did this before the class so I altered it my way before doing her stuff.


I got the hips widened, but the armhole is too small and/or the center back is too narrow.


I think I need a wide back adjustment and maybe to lower the armhole. (Let's have a laugh for a second. See the wrong side of this arm seam? I set the first sleeve in BACKWARDS in class, but didn't catch it till I got home and tried it on. Then I couldn't tell the right from wrong side because I screwed up my first attempt at a French seam. So THIS sleeve had to be turned inside out since I put it on the wrong side. A clue that I've only been sewing really easy knit shirts till now?)


So I'm terribly disappointed I didn't start from scratch with Sandra, and I have several fitting issues still to work out. I have 3 books in my lap to research. But what positives can I pull from this sewing today? Let's see, I like the overall concept of the shirt because it will fit nicely when I get it right. Oh, and I like the collar!


And to make this the longest post on record, but really just for posterity, pictures of Jake when we got him in honor of his 5th birthday, which falls on Mother's Day.


And to remind me how young my kids were then...


And how Lucas hit his eye before this picture and it swelled up, plus he looks like a frog, and this one just makes me guffaw.

6 comments:

KID, MD said...

I was just reading in FFRP, and they said always fix the back first. Maybe the broad back adjustment will help with some of those other wrinkles?

Pam said...

I have not yet attempted a fitted shirt - that is the summit of sewingdom! Great job! I think you're close to finding your perfect fit.

Robbie said...

The collar is BEAUTIFUL!!!!I think you need to start from scratch with a new muslin. Like KID says, fit the back first but I would take some measurements across your chest above your bust and then measure the pattern to see which size to cut. In the front it looks to me like the shirt is too big above the bust, across your chest. Maybe you need to cut a size smaller from the bust up only in the front and then adjust the armholes if you need to.

Sheila said...

What A Wonderful Mother's Day you had.

Congrats on the Stylish Blogger Award and as for your top... I agree with Robbie start over.

auntninn said...

Keep at it! You lovely sewing bloggers have inspired me and I'm trying this now. I need you guys to remind me it's all worth it in the end showing off your lovely clothing.

And I agree with the people who say you might have cut a size too large. It looks wide across the entire front, not just in the shoulders.

Junior said...

Can't believe how much Jake & the boys have grown!