Sunday, April 3, 2011

Tips for the Healthcare Profession

So my mother's been in the hospital for an entire week with a mysterious febrile illness we shall call "viral" for lack of a concrete diagnosis. A real Dr. Houseman does not exist, in my opinion, though we had no less than 6 consultants who gave it a good shot.


The stay involved some ICU time with limited visitation, but the rest of the time we've taken turns spending the night with her. As a family member and also as a doctor, let me recommend to you that you never leave someone in the hospital alone for an extended period of time. (Someone you love, that is. If you really don't like them and they get on your nerves then you might get some payback by leaving them to fend for themselves.)

Now let's address the nurses, respiratory therapists, and radiology techs first. Why must you bang the door open as loudly as possible and talk at full volume when you see that all the lights are off and the patient is sleeping? I know you have work to do, but can't you gingerly open the door and lower your voice? It's called adapting to the situation. If the patient is grimacing in pain and a loved one is hovering over the bed anxiously, do you really want to burst in the room with, "What...did you decide to turn 65, retire, and get sick to use up all those Medicare benefits?" as your opening line? (Actual quote)


And we really don't mean to waste your time and piss you off, but when pain medicine is ordered by the doctor to be given ASAP, coming in 45 minutes later to say that the pain medicine drawer is empty so the pharmacy will have to send some up is not acceptable. It took you 45 minutes to check a drawer? I'd like to see the manager and how about a free CT scan for my trouble.

On to the doctors. You've been great about knocking on the door before bursting in, but how about introducing yourself? Stepping in the room and asking everyone to leave without telling us who you are is not cool. And when the patient is groggy with narcotics, wouldn't you rather have a family member answer your questions so you can get your job done quicker? Firing questions like bullets and expecting one word answers tells me that you're happy to charge for a visit today, but you're not really interested in making a diagnosis.


And let's be honest and cut out the BS. If you don't know what's wrong, blowing sunshine up our asses isn't going to build trust. My family's favorite doctor was the one who came in and said, "I don't have a freaking clue what's wrong with you," then proceeded to ask questions and actually listen to the answers before deciding on the next step. The very nice doctor who told us everyday that things looked much better and she was "turning a corner" made my brother want to ask if my mom was a Nascar driver. (Get it? It's all right turns.)

So I'll stop there. I bet you've got some gripes of your own to add...like waking the patient up to ask if she's resting okay - that happened yesterday...oh see, I could go on and on. I'll just leave you with the first great medical show on TV, St. Elsewhere, which I wouldn't mind getting for my birthday if it's available in a boxed set, hint hint.

10 comments:

auntninn said...

I'm so sorry you had a bad experience. I hope your mom is doing better.

Pam said...

I know you're a doctor - so I'm reading "How Doctors Think"(written by a doctor) - it was recommended to us (lawyers) during a supervisory class I took - it would benefit lawyers to approach the thinking a clinician has in the same way - in any event your story of your mother reminded me of that - I hope you use your power to get a good diagnosis - and good luck with your mother - I agree - when I go in I pay a private nurse to be by my side at all times ( my mom is a nurse so she recommended it) - Your family is in my thoughts!

Lisa Stone said...

I'm so sorry your mom is sick--and I agree with everything you said. I've only been in the hospital for knee surgery and childbirth, but it's as if they have no clue. I hope they find out what is wrong soon!

KID, MD said...

*nods in agreement* The healthcare profession as a whole has a hard time with the whole customer service game. A frustrating problem, isn't it? Especially when you're an insider and know it could/should be better! I HATE being in the hospital as a patient. I hope your mom really does turn a corner or two.

gwensews said...

Best wishes to your mom. Hope she gets better soon.

Now, for one of my hospital stories. I was in the hospital, having had surgery on my lower female parts, which required stitches. I was sharing a room with a gal who had the same surgery. One day, in walks this dude, dressed in a white coat and stethescope, presumably a Dr. He closed the curtain between us, and says to my room-mate "please raise your gown so I can examine you." She did. After looking at her, naked, he says, "oh, sorry--you're not my patient"!! Well, I almost busted my stitches, laughing. She did too, but then got miffed!

Robbie said...

Hope your Mom is much better by now. I did the hospital thing with my dad, ad nauseum (17 times in 12 months), who had Alzheimers. He was pretty difficult, and they tried to keep him comfortable and safe. It was pretty bad.

Dad did tell everyone once that Jerry, the cardiologist, had taken him down to the basement and converted his body to breathe hydrogen. That story came with a complete description of all the tubing, valves and pumps used in the process. The mind is an amazing thing.

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Thank you all for the good wishes. She escaped today finally. Pammie, I'm going to get that book - haven't heard of it but it sounds interesting. Gwen, I laughed out loud at that story - yikes! Robbie, my grandmother had Alzheimers and threatened to call the police on my mom for "stealing her car" when we admitted her to an assisted living place one time. When my mom was in the hospital last week, my car had to go in the shop, so I asked her to please not call the police on me. Then we just unplugged her phone....so nobody would wake her up, of course!

Sheila said...

Sorry to hear about your mom and hoping she is feeling better.

Oh... I have so been there. My mom was going through chemo sessions and would have to stay 4 days every other week. Some of the staff were very nice and then there were the OTHERS...ummm yeah

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Ooh, Sheila, that's rough.

Junior said...

I think your post should be given out as mandatory reading material to the hospital staff....