Thursday, April 14, 2011

Instant Gratification Sewing

Yeah, I know I got all that cool UK fabric, plus I have a huge stash from Robbie of which I have only scratched the surface, but I wanted to sew something quick that would turn out the first time, so I pulled out Jalie 2794.


And pulled out a nice knit I got in New Orleans a couple of months ago at that fancy fabric store. I laid this sucker out and started on it yesterday, and it's hanging in my closet now - woohoo! Look what I can do now that I have a serger:


No more of my machine eating fabric that's too close to the edge! My Forrest Gump foot (the walking foot sounds like his leg braces) wanted to snag the fabric, so that took a little time, but this is otherwise a quick, easy shirt.


Seen here with the Betzina jeans, and I'm ready to eat out in something new!


Jake give his sniff of approval. Now back to pants...or was it tops?

12 comments:

Junior said...

Oh very nice!!! looks good!

KID, MD said...

Cute! This is my instant gratification top, too.

Sheila said...

Pretty top... and congratulations on your new toy.

Pam said...

Ahh,the joy of knits - I love your shirt!!

Lisa Stone said...

so so so envious. You want something new and you just whip it out. I'm thinking I really need to seriously look into this!

gwensews said...

You look great in that outfit. Very up-town! Nice sewing!

auntninn said...

I have this pattern and it's just sitting. I cut it out for Rylee so long ago that I don't think it will even fit now. :)

Thanks for the butt kick. Maybe I'll make it for myself...

Robbie said...

You are STYLIN!!!!

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Ooh, thank you guys! Auntninn - I made this for my niece and it literally took a couple of hours - get crackin'!

Lisa, I can't really whip out whatever I want - I've been needing work pants for a year and my first 2 pairs are sad. But yeah, easy tops are fun, and with all your girls you could stay really busy!

sewistafashionista said...

Sergers are the bomb! I sewed for years without one and now I can't do without it. Your top looks great!

Robbie said...

Is that woolly nylon thread on your serger? I've never tried that.

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Uh, no, I'm not that good! It's still 3 different colors from my serger class, but it stretches with the fabric - I was delighted with it.