Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Another Funny Story

We had our big Cub Scout banquet last night. I'd been talking to the restaurant for 2 weeks about our $900 order to be sure everything was set. I'd been talking to the church for a month about using the space and how it would be set up for 114 people, etc. I bought decorations, had 71 balloons blown up, and decorated the room for 2 hours. Two other mothers came to help me the last hour. I picked up the food and had several people help me unload it and set it up.

The Cubmaster didn't really want to make the big speech he was supposed to make, and he hadn't told the Boy Scouts there that they had a part in the ceremony. I happened to have the script in my bag and gave it to them to study. Things were going relatively well!

The Unit Commissioner who's in charge of our pack came back in the kitchen where I was pouring drinks and said, "Have you all thought about who's going to be the new Committee Chairman next year?" I said we hadn't. He said, "I have someone in mind," with a little smirk on his face. I asked who it was. He said, "A very organized woman I know!" with a bigger smile on his face. (I'm thinking, "Hell, I already do everything anyway; it'll be nice to have an actual title.")

He says, "What is her name again? I met her at your meeting in December." I'm puzzled. Then I realize he's talking about my co-den leader. She's very organized because she's a school teacher, and she's done a phenomenal job handling our den while I handle the pack. I tell him her name and go introduce them again.

Then I go back to pouring pink lemonade for kids, thinking how close I came to saying, "I'll do it!" How awkward would that've been?!

3 comments:

gwensews said...

Ha! You did good. I would have put my foot in my mouth, for sure.

Robbie said...

Luv it!

sewistafashionista said...

You dodged that bullet! Proof that silence is golden. ;)