Sunday, April 17, 2011

Get Your Belay On!

Awesome weather for a campout. Got a new tent to fit the whole family (I call this our trailer home - I'm not used to walking around inside a tent. It felt like we should hook it up to the ball hitch) and headed up for the big Cub Scout overnighter.


The boys actually did a great job of practicing their skits, and we had a joint campfire with the Boy Scout troop Drew is in, who happened to be camping there too. They performed a flag retiring ceremony, where they burn old torn flags on the fire. Two scouts took each flag and unfolded it then held it over the fire till it caught, then folded the ends into the flames and everybody saluted till it was ashes. Man, that'll bring tears to your eyes to see that. Very solemn.

And after a cold night in the mid-40's with Lucas grinding his teeth constantly next to my head, I was ready to come home for a warm shower and my own bed. But first, the boys had to do the rock wall.


That's Dean belaying Lucas, and Drew's getting hooked up on the left.


Be nice to people on your way to the top - you may pass them on the way down!


Then the big boys got in on the action (they offered me a chance, but I didn't want to show anybody up, you know).



"Look out Grandpa, Spider Monkey passing on the left!"

1 comment:

Junior said...

Now that looks fun! Love your new tent!