Monday, November 24, 2008

Songs from the 70's

A couple of weeks ago Dean and I were in a gift shop and I heard the strains of "I got a brand new pair of roller skates..." I gasped and looked at Dean, who had heard the music and shot me a warning look immediately. That look says "Don't start singing or I'm walking out." (I get that look a lot.) I used to lie in bed at 404 and sing that song with the radio. Oh, and this was a favorite for a while - I loved me some Andy Gibb! Now I don't recognize anything about this song other than the chorus; don't know why it was so great.

There was also something called "Shadow Dancing," possibly by the Gibbs, that a girl at Shorter College used to re-enact (remember, that's when they sent me away in the 5th grade and I only lasted 3 or 4 days out of 2 weeks). I think her name was Frannie and we called her the "Shadow Dancer," so maybe that wasn't the name of a song, just that she danced to the Gibbs' music behind opaque glass walls in the cafeteria, and finally got caught. Yes, apparently that was against the rules. Now it's a very popular thing to do in clubs at Vegas......I'm told......I've certainly never seen it for myself.....why would you think that?......please stop looking at me now.

And while I was talking to Scott one day, he said, "Remember this one?" On his radio, somehow (must be satellite), was "Billy don't be a hero." I had to belt it out since the only person around was Lucas, who understands that sometimes Mom needs to sing rather loudly. "Billy don't be a hero, come back and make me your wife. And as he started to go....I said Billy keep your head low-oh-ho, Billy don't be a hero; come back to me...." I asked Scott if he was impressed I knew the words. He said he had a headache from my being behind his radio by a couple of seconds due to the cell phone delay.

I think Tracey's really the only one who can appreciate my singing. Right, Tracey? Hey, right Tracey? Uh, Tracey?

2 comments:

Junior said...

Shadow Dancing was by Andy Gibb who was the younger Gibb brother of the BeeGees. One year for Christmas Mel Hicks from across the street gave me an Andy Gibb doll complete with white jumpsuit. He was the size of my Skipper doll so he became her boyfriend. Now whenever I hear Shadow Dancing on the radio I think of that. Also that you used to play your 45 record of 'Blood is Thicker Than Water'....such a deep song.

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

I remember that Andy doll! I went back and listened to Shadow Dancing - you can barely hear him singing!