Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year!


So last January 1, I rode bikes with the boys and walked on the treadmill. I've started exercising again the past couple of weeks (4 times, to be exact) to get ready for our ski trip in February. Would you like to hear a quick history of our ski TRIPS?
1) Gatlinburg - Dean crashed on that one, not me. He went over the edge of a black diamond and I lost sight of him, but heard gasps from the ski lift overhead and saw many people pointing down, apparently at my beloved. I had to wait till I got down my green slope to see if he was alive or not.
2) Vail with another couple - The men insisted the women didn't need lessons so they took us up to the top and headed for a black. Michelle and I chose an easier route down a blue, but I still crossed my skis and tore up my knee. God bless her, she walked all the way down with me (except when we came down the black diamond on our derrieres). I ended up in physical therapy the rest of the week with a strained MCL. I also ended up with a swollen face brought about by the severe sunburn I sustained by not using sunscreen. My forehead actually hung over my sunglasses and the bridge of my nose blocked part of my vision.
3) Snowmass when Lucas was a toddler - Going down a lovely blue with Dean but lost my nerve on the last run (it's always the last run, isn't it?) and tore up my other knee. This time Ski Patrol came and took me home on the gurney - wheeee! That was the trip where we all ended up with a GI bug too (the kind where you're on the throne holding a garbage can) and didn't know if we'd make it home or not. Did I mention that I fell going to dinner the first night there? Landed on my tush but I was holding Lucas at the time - yeesh.
4) Deer Valley - Prophylactically wearing both knee braces now, I almost hit a tree. I threw myself down before I hit it, but I went backwards and banged my head on the snow. Now I wear a helmet.
5) Beaver Creek - Drew talks me into going through the Kiddie Forest with him because "it's FUN!" The "fun" is lots of tiny moguls and a narrow path between trees that makes it impossible for me to wedge. Thus I gather speed and hit a patch of bumps that throws me off into the woods. I huffed out of there on foot and told Drew, "That was NOT fun and don't you EVER take me through something like that AGAIN!"

Now you see why I've got to get these scrawny legs in shape for the bruising they're about to take!

2 comments:

Lisa Stone said...

I have always wanted to ski...it's actually on my bucket list...but now I think I'm too old, and after reading your post (and giggling a lot), I think maybe not! Happy New Year!~

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Yeah, I'm not recommending anyone take it up at this age. I seriously thought about sitting out this time, but I'll give it a shot in the mornings and do something else in the afternoons (when I normally tear something up). My partner broke some ribs one time when a snowboarder hit her, and another friend said he quit when he realized one slip could change his whole life.