Friday, January 8, 2010

Golf and Mardi Gras Dresses

Saw a copy of Golf Digest yesterday - the cover was President Obama kneeling and checking out a shot with Tiger Woods behind him. I just don't know what to make of that. Why is the President on the cover of a magazine other than Time or Newsweek? And why did they still run this after Tiger's indiscretions? Other people dropped him, couldn't the magazine (or the President!) have said, "You know, this really isn't a great time for this picture." Just my opinion...




Now I had a revelation the other night - I will make my Mardi Gras dress! Of course, why not? I have 4 that I've been wearing since 1998 or 1999. My word, do you realize that for 12 years I've worn the same 4 dresses! That speaks to so many things: my frugality, my humbleness, my lack of adventure, my poor fashion sense, but perhaps most importantly...my ability to still fit in them!

So since there are now pictures on Facebook of the one I wore last year, and it's the same one I would wear this year, I decided to create a new one. I researched patterns on Patternreview.com and came up with 2 looks I liked. I ordered both patterns, but today I decided that the keyhole bodice with looped fabric to tie around the neck (the slinky one on the bottom left) is just not for the flat-chested woman. That dress on me would be screaming, "Attention! Attention! Do not be fooled. There is nothing to see beyond this keyhole - it is simply a distraction. Please direct your attention to the mile-wide hips below!" So I'm opting for the halter-top style (top left). I think it needs a slinky drapey fabric to still be sexy, and I found a wild one at Hancock I'll try to upload later.

Of course, this has to meet with the approval of the Grand Poobah, but seeing how he'll be in a wacky costume of his own (and quite possibly 3 sheets to the wind), I think I've got some leeway here. Let me know what you think...

2 comments:

Junior said...

I like it but the fabric on the lady in the picture looks like 60's hip mod stuff. On the illustrations to the left side....the one in the middle....I like the top the way the shoulder straps are.

Liba said...

Love the dress! Would be cool in a 60's looking fabric just to keep up the look! Can't wait to see the completed project!