Tuesday, January 19, 2010

I Hate the Exploreum

Well, with all the hullabaloo around the gerbil escape and capture, I didn't get to sew last night, which was depressing because I held that out like a carrot to get myself through the Exploreum. I think I enjoyed stuff like the Exploreum when I was in my 20's, but it passed quickly...which is a shame because I had Drew when I was 29 and Lucas when I was 35!

I don't know why I hate that kind of thing. The first time you go, it's so neat (move kids, let Mommy try this first). The second time you go it's just okay (here kids, let me show you how fun this is - now you do it and I'll go sit on that bench). Then when you go back again it's definitely boring (look, if you kids aren't going to play with anything, we're leaving). I'm sure it's because I'm old now, plus I'm also selfish (I need to get home and start cutting out the bodice lining - don't you kids want to go home and play computer games?). And the kids are older now, so they're not as excited either.

So the only interesting thing about places like the Exploreum now is watching the rude children and oblivious parents. Lucas was sitting at a thing figuring out a code for a lock when this other kid ran up and started banging the keys. It's cool to watch and see how your kids will handle situations like this - maybe it's a hint of how they'll respond when they're adults and a coworker bows up on them. When they were little I'd get all upset about it (where is this kid's mother?). Now I let it roll off. Another rude kid ran up between Drew and me when Drew was doing something - we just looked at each other, said "Real nice," and walked away. Learning life lessons at the Exploreum...

No comments: