Sunday, March 18, 2012

Mission Accomplished

Let's review. I started with New Look 6071 (Project Runway!).


My first muslin using size 12 bodice (according to my measurements) and 18 skirt.



Second muslin - downsized to 8 bodice and 14 skirt, but armscyes and sleeves too tight.



Went to a size 10 at the armscye only and lowered it 1/2". Used a size 10 sleeve. Here's the final result. (Sorry, as usual, for the crappy pictures. Even sitting on a table with the timer, they still come out blurry. Maybe the 9-year-old child standing NEXT to it had more to do with it, since he was not present for the pictures of the back...)


I'll take it! There are some drag lines on the sleeves so I still have some issue there, but they're comfortable. There's also some wonkiness at the right back sleeve cap, but I really didn't see it till these pictures. When I was looking in the mirror and moving my arms around, it all looked fine.


When I wear it I will continuously windmill with my right arm. Problem solved.


And Junior, I'm wearing the necklace you gave me that's made out of magazines!


(I know, it's too blurry to see, just take my word for it - tightly rolled magazines.) Now, the problem is that I missed all the cold weather, so I'll have to wait for next Fall to wear this I guess. Question for you ladies - if it's cold in Chicago next week when I'm there for the big yearly meeting, is it wrong to wear this since it will officially be Spring? (I mean those are brown suede shoes, for Heaven's sake!)

Also, for anyone familiar with Chicago - best places to fabric shop? Robbie mentioned Vogue - I had no idea! I need your thoughts before Thursday...

11 comments:

Pam said...

I love it - you have perfected this dress! I hope you keep it as one of your TNTs. I can see it in a formal type of fabric as well!

Great job - and I love the olive!

Anonymous said...

Looks fabulo! You look great in that color. I would definitely wear it in Chicago, as long as the forecasts continue to show temperatures that are good for long sleeves. Since dressing for the calendar usually means you will be HOT in AL, I say to heck with dressing by the calendar. Plus, you'll have that lake effect and will probably be happy for long sleeves. Enjoy Chicago! Amy Minchin

Beth O. said...

I am outside of Chicago and we have had unseasonably warm weather the past week. Like 140 year temperature records broken weather! If it continues you may be too warm in long sleeves but this is Chicago so you can never really tell. We still might get snow again before Easter.

Either way your dress is gorgeous and I applaud you for sticking with the pattern until you got it perfect. Worth the effort.

Junior said...

Looks awesome!!!!

RobbieK said...

Dress is terrific!! As my 4yo DGD would say with little hands waving "I'm so PROUD of you"

Um, I think it was 80 in Chicago today. Believe me, you don't want snow. AND you might just find something you love at Vogue, it just wasn't "ME".

KID, MD said...

It looks great!! The fit is amazing and the fabric is great! Win!!

As for Chicago, Cenetta (http://themahoganystylist.blogspot.com/) is there. And that girl has amazing fabric! Bet she could help you find somewhere awesome to shop.

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Thank you, Pammie and Junior!

Amy, thank you for freeing me from the calendar - I had a friend who told me last year that I could only wear my corduroy pants one more week then it wouldn't be the right season...and I have 4 pairs of the same pants that I was wearing all the time, so I was peeved. Calendar be damned!

Beth, thanks for coming by and commenting. I do need to check a weather report, haven't planned ahead.

Robbie, now I HAVE to go to Vogue to see why it's not you.

KID, thanks for the tip on Cenetta - I'll check her out.

Sheila said...

The dress came out great and love the color on you.

Liba said...

OH gorgeous dress and great color on you! You need to make you a sleeveless one for summer too! Have fun in Chicago. Maybe it will be cooler after all this rain moves through.

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Thank you, thank you. Wouldn't it be fun to all have these as "lake dresses?" Like our trashy lake shirts?

Sara Noemi said...

I was wondering what it would look like with stripes so thanks for posting the second set of photos! Love the final verson =)