Saturday, March 24, 2012

First Day in Chicago

This is Soldier Field...as seen from the bus I ride to and from the meeting. What a great way to see the sites.


After my morning session, I met my friend Ann, a former Mobilian but native Chicagoan (Chicagian? Chicano?), for lunch and shopping. This store window caught my eye, for obvious reasons.


Holy crap, this is the big window over their door! I wasn't the only one taking pictures of it.


They must have a million vintage sewing machines - all the windows have them and they're scattered through the store....which looks like this inside:


I felt like I was in a 19th century sweatshop or something. Everything is vintage machinery and old wooden floors - too cool! And the clothes are CRAZY! Beaded mini skirts that probably wouldn't cover my assets, crocheted dresses, and this beautiful drapey silk dress that I photographed terribly, just take my word that you would look like a Greek goddess in this thing.


But here's the piece de resistance. After my evening meeting, I spent an hour in Nordstrom's shoe department. Ben (who told me he'd love to "work with me" again and told me to call him if I see something online and want him to ship it for free - talk about customer service!) helped me find a black heel in my price range. When the Ivanka Trump heel didn't work (she is surprisingly affordable!), he brought out some similar styles. The Dior was it, but then he told me it was $590. I told him I'm from Alabama and we're just not used to paying that much for our shoes (sorry, Alabamians). So he found me an affordable Enzo - I love it!


And here's the interesting brown loafer-type shoe for work...although it's bronze; they didn't have brown. (Is it wrong to wear a metallic shoe to work?)


So far, Chicago is a hit! Tomorrow, fabric.

4 comments:

RobbieK said...

Luv the shoes....I think the metallic loafer is terrific!

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

I'm wearing it today, Robbie - so comfortable! Who cares if I shimmer?

sewistafashionista said...

Chicago is tons of fun! And the window that says Spitalfieds London, that was once a pretty rough district of London. I wonder how the Chicago store and London are connected? Enjoy! They have a Vogue fabrics in Chicago too! :)

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Sewista, that must be why they decorated it like that. Ann told me 2 London stores opened here the same day - TopShop is the other one. Welcome, London!