Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Sewing and Knitting - YAY!

I did get a little something done yesterday. Remember I started this muslin before I went to Japan? It just needed bias bindings for the armholes, and I did that last night. I nearly burned my fingers pressing the bias strips since I had the steam setting on...thus my desire for a bias tape maker. Alas, none of you lurkers wanted to delurk and advise me on what to buy, so I turned off the steam setting and plodded on. Hey, it turned out great!


Just need a little swayback adjustment next time, and I'm good to go.


And while syncing my phone, I knitted some of NaiNai's Favorite Dishcloth, which is looking a little different from everybody else's...


One side does look wavy, and the other is more nubby and supposed to look kind of waffly eventually. It's fun to knit - every other row, you slip every other stitch, so it's fast!



Okay, my intention tonight is to turn those princess-seamed Vogue pants into capris....or to make pajama shorts out of that green Japanese fabric with tiny pandas in it, which turned out to feel like flannel after it was washed....we'll see what happens!

5 comments:

Pam said...

I love it!! BTW, I must have missed your post on bias tape makers but I have quite a few sizes of the Clover manual version . . . I love them!

Great job on the shirt and knitting too!!

gwensews said...

Your top looks super--good job! As for bias tape makers, I have the Clover tape makers and I also have the Simplicity electric bias tape maker, which I love!

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Awesome - thank you ladies for the tips! It was Mother's Day and I had a gift card, but the Simplicity was only a single fold, and I want a double fold. I guess you have to buy Clover online? Seemed like Hancock only carried Simplicity....

Anonymous said...

Sorry to have been lurking recently. I cannot post comments from my phone and that is where I do all my blog reading from. I bought the expensive bias tape maker from Simplicity but promptly returned it when I saw it only made one size of single fold. I love the little Clover bias tape makers. I don't find it too much trouble to fold it over and make it double fold. I think All About Sewing and PBnJ Kids have the Clover kind.

As for the Liberty you decided not to buy me... I guess I will forgive you ;)

I loved all the Japan videos and commentary -- really makes me want to do some traveling!

Have you seen the new Bombshell swimsuit from Closet Case files? I have downloaded it and plan to sew it up soon. Want to do a mini Bay Area sew along??

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Katrina - I didn't even think about checking All About Sewing - thanks! And yes, I put up a post about a sewing weekend, actually - let me know...