Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Of Ticks and Dishcloths...

Well, let's show pictures first for the sewing ladies, then they can move on to the next blog, and my family can hang around for the tick story.

Random rainbow on Friday.


So here's the finished Nai-nai's Favorite dishrag, which I think is my favorite. It's REALLY thick and fun to knit.


And this is the DW Darrell Waltrip dishcloth, which was faster to knit, but not as fun or interesting...no offense. And I'm not sure about those little bars across there (it's slipping 2 stitches every time), because I have a feeling they'll get caught or pulled or something.


Lastly, this is what the UPS man brought today - my bias tape maker (All About Sewing only had 1/4" and 3/8"), plus the mercerized cotton yarn I ordered to meet the free shipping amount - teehee.

So the boys got home Sunday afternoon from a week at Boy Scout camp in Tennessee, where their tents were on elevated platforms...under which slept 2 camp dogs who were apparently infested with ticks. One of the dads came up to me first and said Lucas and he were tick magnets, and that Lucas had about 7 or 8 ticks during the week, the last of which he pulled off just 2 hours ago in the car. Lucas then came up and very quietly said, "Well, in the words of a fellow camper, I had 2 ticks on my d***." He apparently woke up the first morning with a "stinging in his groin," (he knows the word groin - so proud!) so he went to the latrine, where he saw a gigantic tick and thought he "had the Black Plague." He reported it to his tentmate who took him to the health hut, where one adult said he'd have to get another adult to help. Lucas thought this meant it would take 2 men to hold him down and remove the tick, but it's just a rule in the Scouts for safety. That night he showered to be sure all the "tick stuff" was gone, and found ANOTHER one in another unfortunate place. This time, the guy gave him some tweezers and he removed it himself. (Are you squirming or itching yet?)

If you knew how modest and fastidious this kid was, you'd know why I was so amazed at the fact that he suffered 8 of these things, plus chiggers and redbugs, and still had a good time at camp! Oh, then Drew told me about getting a fish hook in his head, and how he carried the guy's fishing pole (now attached to Drew's head) over to the instructor to remove the hook. These boys are going to have such good characters after all the character-building experiences they've suffered this week!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this post, I was just reading it thinking about sewing stuff and realized my kid was back from a day camp in the woods and it reminded me I better check her body. Found 2 ticks!

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Another life saved - it's a good day! Thanks for de-lurking and de-ticking!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, I am super grateful as my oldest had lyme disease last year which is really nasty. One of the ticks was right inside the belly button.

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Holy moly! That's scary. My pediatric ID friend told me Alabama ticks aren't trouble but Tennessee ticks carry Lyme disease, tularemia, Rocky Mtn Spotted Fever, and babesiosis. Nasty buggers! Hope your kids are alright...

Anonymous said...

Thanks, I really appreciate you sharing your family's experience because it is important to know that these things can go to intimate places on the body. Without that I am not sure I would have had such a thorough look. The next day we found another tick between the cheeks of the butt. But she did enjoy the camp!

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Yowza! Dang ticks!