I'd like to thank all my supporters, who encouraged me to hang in there, and especially Robbie and Rachelle, who provided me with links to useful tutorials and such. I'd like to thank my children for letting me sew uninterrupted, although they do make personal comments about my, uh, shortcomings (but only when asked for their honest opinions). Yeah, yeah, let's just get to it!
First, I'll have you know that I was ready to quit, but Pammie and Sheila commented at just the right time, so I went back upstairs and ripped that leg elastic out (a total of 3 times, if you must know). I felt better about it after I finished a leg, then Rachelle gave me some advice, and this morning I was just raring to go.
Here's the choice of bra cups. Kwik Sew says the sew-in ones can wait till last (those are the bottom ones, I guess), but they didn't do anything for me. The middle one must be meant to go inside the lining, because it itches like crazy - not a good look. So I used the top one that I cut out of an old suit, and sewed it into the side seam, then caught it in the armhole elastic when topstitching.
Here's what that looks like - and it'd sure be prettier if I didn't use orange bobbin thread. Talk about lazy, people!
I certainly still have some issues to work out. The fabric doesn't touch me at the lower back or lower ribs (see how I can pinch it out), so I have some fitting to do...
And here we go!
Woo-hoo - I'll take it!
Yo - margarita over here! (You know, to demonstrate the armhole and how I can move without it gaping or riding up.)
So I'm really just delighted that it fits decently and it doesn't ride up at all, unlike my RTW suits! Next I'm going to try and modify a 2-piece from the book into a one-piece, if I can, preferably with a halter top that I can stuff with more padding. And I'll refine my stitches, etc., but really, that elastic thing gets easier as you practice - duh! Let's say it all together: I'll NEVER buy another swimsuit AGAIN!