Monday, February 21, 2011

Veterinarians ONLY!

WARNING - GRAPHIC PHOTOS - DO NOT VIEW WHILE EATING

I'm trying to space this right so you have to scroll down to see the pics because they are truly disgusting; so if you're not a veterinarian or someone with special knowledge about dog poop, please hit your BACK button. If you were looking for the Mardi Gras dress please click on the label to the left. Oh, but that means you have to scroll down...sorry. Maybe you can go to Pattern Review and get a direct link to the dress when I get it reviewed.

If you ARE a veterinarian, my Golden Labrador (4.5 years old) has been acting strange lately, wanting to stay in his kennel instead of out with the family, and his stomach gurgles loudly all the time. He only eats when he has company, so he's gone a day and a half without eating because no one was sitting with him in the laundry room. (Even if you go in there with him, he won't eat if he thinks you're leaving soon.) So yesterday we ventured into the backyard and Lucas found this. Now I've had dogs my whole life, and I've never encountered poop like this. I've seen dry poop, wet poop, white poop, poop with leaves, and even poop with worms in new puppies, but nothing like this.

Could it be the unusually high dew point lately that's causing terrible fog conditions this week? We're not using any new fertilizer on the grass and there aren't any new plants out there that would've dropped weird seeds. This doesn't resemble any family members so I don't think it's like a pod from Invasion of the Body Snatchers. What could be going on here?



No, this is not a cute little hedgehog, this is poop sprouting a head full of luxurious black hair. Someone would pay to have that transplanted on their head, I guarantee you...as long as you didn't tell them where it came from.



Dean hypothesized that Jake swallowed a lot of hair, but Jake is blonde and this stuff is growing towards the sunlight. Should I be worried about some weird parasite or fungal infection? This HAS to be some sort of rhizome (I vaguely remember that term) or plant, doesn't it? And it's not just one incident, there are several around the yard in various lengths.

Thoughts and advice? Well, finish your gagging, I'll wait.

8 comments:

KID, MD said...

No advice, just eewwww! Get thee to the veterinarian!

Ann Made Studio said...

oh poor thing..I can't imagine what he is getting into. You will keep us updated.

Sheila said...

Get him to the vet asap and hoping he gets well soon.

Junior said...

Jake is making chia pets. I've seen fuzzy looking mold growing on PJ's a couple of times but nothing like that.

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Lol - chia poops! I called the vet and they said if it was a fungus he'd be VERY sick, so this is something growing up from the yard. Alrighty then! Thanks for your concern.

HypnoKitten said...

I just found your pics. I've been trying to search the internet and figure out what this stuff was on some old poops up in the attic (probably oppossum). I have a crazy video I took of this stuff with my phone because I have never seen anything like it (yes, alien came to mind) and I had no way to describe it so people would believe me. Its got to be toxic, anything that looks this gross.

HypnoKitten said...

I just found your pics. I've been trying to search the internet and figure out what this stuff was on some old poops up in the attic (probably oppossum). I have a crazy video I took of this stuff with my phone because I have never seen anything like it (yes, alien came to mind) and I had no way to describe it so people would believe me. Its got to be toxic, anything that looks this gross.

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Ooh, HypnoKitten - in your attic?! The vet decided said it was definitely plant life due to our high humidity in south Alabama. Now you might want to call Critter Control (I have a post on here somewhere with their picture and the president of the company even left a comment!) about checking your attic, unless it's really old and the thing is definitely gone....good luck!