Saturday, February 19, 2011

Here It Is, Blinged and Spanxed!

Oh, hooray, it's finally finished after 2 days of tweaking! Let's just admire the fabric and the first 10 seconds of, "I think that turned out nicely," before we pick it apart.



Now, in the photo above, why is my left boob so much larger than my right? (This photo looks like something hanging over a fireplace, what with the dog, hmmm? We had a hard time keeping him out of the picture.) Maybe I need to tug on it...was the padded bra twisted? I don't notice this in the mirror - only in pictures.

And the photo below initially looks like I have a huge bicep, but that's the side of my chest showing. That's my only complaint with this dress, is that it seems to stretch every time I put it on and the front sides threaten to expose more and more "rib meat."



Which leads us to my major design change (besides the side slit) - I opted not to tie the thing around my neck for 2 reasons. First, it felt funny with the knot right up on my throat, and second, I needed a little support on the back to hold the dress up. When I bent over, the dress would roll down and expose the bra. I tried the elastic in the seam allowance trick, but that was too puckery, so I came up with this. Now obviously the right side is higher for some reason. I think if I just tug the strap tighter on that side it'll loosen up in the back.



And it's funny that I don't see the big wrinkles my mom and I were working on feverishly yesterday. I ripped that back seam twice to try and fix it, but the final diagnosis was off-grain cutting. We tried re-pinning the seam allowance and ironing it twice to no avail. (The funniest picture would've been her ironing the bottom of the seam while I was wearing it, backed up to the ironing board with the dress hiked up - yikes! It's just a pain to yank on and off repeatedly. My apologies to any neighbors who may have been incensed.)

Anyway, this is a trial run tonight, where the average age of the crowd is around 70, so they don't see so good at night anyway, right? (Watch out, I'm an equal opportunity offender!) Then I have 2 weeks to redo any boo-boos before New Orleans. So let fly with your suggestions, okay? Let's keep it honest - you won't hurt my feelings. I thought about embellishing the straps on the back with something so they don't look so much like overalls, but maybe they're okay. And my mom hooked me up with some of my grandmother's jewelry, so that brooch on the knot jazzed the front up. (Was it supposed to be a Star of David, Mom, or is that just coincidental?)

And here's what I did in 30 minutes on Friday - I finally got to cut out a muslin of Butterick 5391.



They ARE fast and easy, but the legs are much larger than suggested by the pictures and line drawings. I grabbed this pattern on sale before I read the reviews. I'm going to try again with the skinny-leg version, because the back of these is actually flattering, but I really need pockets. Anyway, I'm happy I got to sew something besides the dress this week.



And I grabbed a couple of patterns at the Vogue sale. You know I got 7762 because there's a shapely blonde I hope I'll look like when I wear that dress, and I love those long sleeves. But seriously, how practical is that dress and where would I wear it? Not to a dinner party - I'd get food all over the sleeve or knock over my wine glass.



And I got the Betzina 1173 because she showed us this top when she was here last year and it was stinking cute! The dress looks like a sack and she couldn't believe that was the one that dominates the pattern envelope, but apparently she doesn't have control over what they highlight.



Anyway, thanks for stopping by and let me know your thoughts.

10 comments:

KID, MD said...

It looks awesome!! I think the boob imbalance is just the way the flash is hitting the nap of the fabric on that side, and I suspect it isn't there IRL. I like the way you did the straps in the back. I wouldn't bling them, but then, I'm conservative that way. Bling would be totally appropriate for Mardi Gras!

Lisa said...

You look totally HOT! Great job.

marysews said...

I think the dress looks great just the way it is. Don't change a thing!

Lisa Stone said...

It looks great! I'm in awe that you could do that all by yourself (obvious non-sewer) The boob thing--that happened to me in my wedding pictures!

Ann Made Studio said...

I think your dress looks awesome on you ~ as is ~ You did a fantastic job!

Kitschy Coo said...

I agree with KID about the flash / boob dichotomy. And I don't think you need to change anything either. I like the slit!

gwensews said...

You look beautiful in that dress. I wouldn't change a thing, but let the fabric speak. Gorgeous!

Sheila said...

OmGoodness you look fabulous and the color looks so good against your skin. Like the others, flash will leads us to believe more tweaking is needed when in actuality there isn't. Good move on the making straps along the back and instead of a full halter strap. The worst thing is feeling like you have a frog in your throat from straps being to close to your throat. You're correct in that a lil tugging on the left back strap will even it out. What about shortening the straps a tad bit to prevent the sides from showing too much side boobage.

Lol @ the crowd is around 70ish and don't see so good at night.

auntninn said...

I think it turned out great and you look fantastic in it. I can see what you changed the backstraps for functionality and also greater comfort. I hate things knotted around my neck.

If you wanted to make the back a little fancier you could consider criss-crossing them? But it doesn't need to be changed.

Junior said...

Dress looks fabulous on you...slit looks great, love the wrap! Jake looks handsome as ever...