Sunday, February 27, 2011

Mardi Gras on the Water....Sort of

Well, we caught a disappointing parade in Mobile Friday night where the boys and their friends caught about 4 beads each, along with a Moonpie or two. Saturday we went to the beach to view the Pirates of the Lost Treasure parade. They have a flotilla all decked out and they go to a couple of ports to throw beads before proceeding down to the Flora-bama. (This would be the bar where my mother took me when I was a medical student and she was in town attending a meeting - her work friends decided to go here and I was dragged along. This would also be where she got slapped on the rear by some drunk redneck and I did not. Nothing will hurt your self-esteem more than that, let me tell ya'.) We thought the boats might pass by close enough to throw beads, but not so. Plus a fog rolled in, so the pictures were terrible.



And I branched out some this weekend and attempted to refinish a table. Now I know NOTHING about refinishing furniture, but I mastered the electric grinder/sander thing enough to take some paint off.



What I'd like to do now is commence to spraypainting, but I'm sure there are some tedious steps before that happens, like fine sanding by hand, and probably applying several coats of something or other, so I'll let you know how it turns out in a year or two.



I DID read about 3/4th's of the first volume of the Power Sewing Toolbox. The chapter on seam finishes and embellishing seams is my favorite so far, and I'm hoping there's a good index so I can go back and find some of this stuff later. I think the jacket chapter is phenomenal, but I've never made one so it's all over my head about "roll lines" and such. And my goodness, I haven't even looked at the DVD that comes with it! One nice extra touch is there's an elastic band to hold your place attached to each book - that came in handy when I was on the dock with the wind whipping so I didn't have to fight the pages.

What did y'all do this weekend? I better get to blog-hopping and find out!

2 comments:

Ann Made Studio said...

You've had a productive weekend. Mine had a little bit of shoveling and a lot of battling this nasty cold...I'd rather be on a dock reading a sewing book :)))

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

I AM blessed with weather down here, Ann, but in the sweltering month of August I tend to think of it more as a curse!