Sunday, February 20, 2011

The Dress is a Winner

Thank all you bloggers for coming by and commenting! The boob issue was totally a flash/nap thing as you predicted, and a tug straightened out the back. I didn't flash anybody despite strutting across the dance floor during several songs (and by "strut" I mean something a chicken does, not the lovely lady in Saturday Night Fever), and I got 2 compliments on the dress before Dean did the big reveal and told people I made it. A friend even called today and asked me again if I REALLY made the dress or not. So this one's a keeper.

I did think about criss-crossing the back straps as Aunt Ninn suggested, but they're not long enough - doh! I may have to go get more fabric, since I left the wrap at the party, so I could cut another strap that's longer...if I was really industrious. The so-called wrap was just the big rectangle I ended up with after cutting out the dress, and I really wanted to sew some beads or something on the end to make it look official. Hopefully somebody picked it up.

So the room was VERY dark, which was good, and we were not the absolute youngest couple - somebody brought their daughter and son-in-law, but we were close. After listening to Mustang Sally and similar hits, I approached the guitarist, who looked like he was from Lynyrd Skynyrd, and asked if they knew any Taio Cruz or B.O.B. (I couldn't think of Bruno Mars). He gave me a blank look and said, "Sorry." We did end up dancing to You Dropped a Bomb on Me and Brick House, and I guess it was good they didn't know any of the new stuff - there might've been some broken hips on the dance floor.

4 comments:

Junior said...

Sounds like y'all had a reasonably good time..got any pics to post?

Pam said...

I tend to agree - I love the dress and don't see any inappropriate boobage or boobage lines:) Congratulations on a stunner!

auntninn said...

Glad you had fun! And how great to get compliments when people don't even know you made it.

And FYI - when I suggested criss-crossing the straps I thought you were going to make another one of these dresses in a different fabric. It was just a thought to mix it up a little. The one you made is already da bomb! :-)

sewistafashionista said...

Congrats on such a stunning sewing success! It is great when you receive so many compliments on any dress, and even better when it was made by you. :)