Monday, February 14, 2011

Some Thoughts on the Grammies

I thought they were pretty good this year. I usually only catch snippets, like when that rude guy (forgot his name right now) got up and took the microphone from Taylor Swift. But this year we watched a good bit of it, and I was impressed. I loved Bruno Mars doing a 50's version of his songs, although I kept waiting for them to break it down...but it was still dance-able. I was relegated to the living room by my family, who can't appreciate the loose-jointed wonder known as Mom, and instead gawk at me like I'm a circus freak. But before that performance there was Lady Gaga. Now I know she's terribly controversial and a circus freak herself, but did you see her 60 Minutes interview before the Grammies?



Yes, she only wore a leotard (looked like Spanx) in one segment, but she's got cellulite and a gut like mine and she just doesn't care. And her song "I Was Born This Way" had a message. She let Anderson Cooper hear a little bit of it in the interview, and she couldn't stop herself from dancing before she made them turn the cameras off. (Some people have a dance gene, I think...not necessarily a GOOD dance gene, but you gotta move when you hear a beat.) And I have to admit that I had some tears in my eyes at the end of her Grammy performance. Now Lucas was all like, "The dancers are in their underwear!" But I think it was like Jamie Lee Curtis doing her magazine pictorial in her underwear without airbrushing.



I just know the message I got was "You're worth something, no matter what you look like." As opposed to the message I got from Rihanna and Drake, which was "I am all about my crotch."



What did YOU think about the Grammies? (Or were you sewing instead?)

4 comments:

gwensews said...

I didn't get to see them. I caught bits and pieces on the morning news. Loved GaGa emerging from the egg! You see so many different types of bodies, in all shapes and sizes, that probably nothing surprises you.

Anonymous said...

the only part I got to see was Gwyneth & Cee Lo singing before I fell asleep. Which I love her version of that from Glee! Will have to find Lady GaGa's performance on youtube so I can see what you're talking about.

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Yes - the egg was cool, and did you notice the fleshy lumps coming off her shoulders and face, Gwen? I do see some odd genetic syndromes with the poor kids looking so different - they should all see that video!

Yeah Tracey - they were on SNL too - loved 'em!

Robbie said...

I remember the Jamie Lee Curtis photo and interview. Helped me like my cellulite and realize what I really want is to feel good and be healthy.