Friday, February 25, 2011

Christmas Came Early

Oh, look what was on my doorstep yesterday when I got home! I ran around the house yelling, "The new sewing books are here! The new sewing books are here!" like Steve Martin with his phone books in The Jerk.



There was a Valentine's special at her website where you get a free shirt DVD if you order the Power Sewing Toolbox, so I had to do it. I'll study up before she comes in May for the Shirt Sit 'n' Sew, so maybe I can actually FINISH it, instead of just finishing a stupid POCKET, like I did with the jeans. (I do sew much faster now, so there's hope.) I've read the first 2 pages, which start with general tips. Number one was to take the phone off the hook (they're not ALL high-tech tips about linings). Another one was to set up a sewing day with a friend, get up early so you can pick up some pastries and coffee on the way, and enjoy some conversation before you bring in your machine. I like these warm and fuzzy tips! (Robbie, we should do this sometime...when our husbands/kids won't mind if we take over the kitchen and den for a day.)

And I stopped at Daphne Fabric and Lace on the way home from work Wednesday and picked this up for $2.00 a yard.



The color is off, but this is a green/blue striped knit and a rose something or other. The tag said something about crepe, and it feels like a medium polyesterish fabric, and the guy said he thought something like gabardine maybe, but we're no experts. It's very nice and drapey and I was just going to buy a yard or two for a shirt, but it screamed "Dress" at me, so I got 4 yards. (At these prices, you waste the guy's time hauling the bolt out if you don't buy a bunch, in my opinion. There's also the risk of a rat bite, given the looks of the place, so let's make it count!) Now the only issue is that I washed and dried it, and it feels a little coarser now with a little less drape. Hopefully this wasn't something that should be dry-cleaned only...I better consult my Betzina fabric dictionary for gabardine and crepe.

And to wrap up the week, my favorite Idol contestant made it to the final 24 last night, but when I was looking for his picture (thanks, TMZ!), it said he was in the hospital for a blood transfusion! He supposedly may be allowed to show up for taping - otherwise he has to drop out...can this be true? I'll be devastated.



So who else has the PS Toolbox books, and who are you rooting for on Idol? And isn't Steven Tyler a hoot when he closes his eyes while the contestants are singing? I like this season a WHOLE lot better than last year.

6 comments:

Sheila said...

Great reference books and nice fabric. I subscribe to her web tv show and have the power sewing book. I keep telling myself I do not need another sewing dvd, but thinking one more won't hurt...lol

Ann Made Studio said...

I don't have these books but I do have her other books and many of her DVD's and really enjoy them.
You'll have to do a quick review of these books :)))

Junior said...

I haven't decided who to root for because I miss most of the shows but would actually like to watch this season. Is it two nights a week? Yes, he cracks me up when he closes his eyes like that...and some of the faces JLo makes crack me up too!
Hooray on the new sewing material...it's like Christmas!

Robbie said...

I don't have the books yet, but I need to get them so she can sign them for me when she comes. Is it time to register for class yet???

We can do a sewing day at my house anytime. No kids at home ;) and DH is well trained. He stays in his man cave while I sew.

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Jr., it was 2 nights a week but next week it's 3 - boys, girls, and results - don't miss it!

Robbie, Sue said she'd call when it's time to register, and the second day is Power Sewing Toolbox demo, so you can surely buy one from her, I'd think.

gwensews said...

Hope you do a review of those books. When there's a new book on the block, everyone is curious!