Friday, December 6, 2013

Ooh, to Reverse Applique, or Just to Bead?

I love the look of the purple stencil on the navy, so I was thinking of just beading it and embroidering it as is - what do you think? Here' the outer layer with stencil...


And here's one shape I beaded lightly around and cut as usual. With beading, you're supposed to use one strand of button craft thread so it doesn't tangle, but it looks kind of thin to me - I like the look of a double strand.


And I probably need way more beads per shape, but I was just testing to see how it looked. I don't know if I like the lighter color showing through - does it look more "homemade?" (Louise Cutting calls that "made by loving hands at home" to describe something really pitiful looking - funny!) Maybe I should've used black fabric underneath - argh!


I'm thinking it looks more refined with the stencil intact, and I just should do beading....and maybe have my knots on the outside? HELP! I can't decide!

4 comments:

Bianca s said...

Good work so far.

I think you need more beads around the shapes, like in every stitch.

I love reverse applique. I like your color coming through when it is cut out.

Have you considered a hybrid where you stitch around each shape and reverse applique and bead only random shape groups? That way, you maintain the color of the paint and have pops of the under color beneath in strategic places. It will also allow you to be dramatic with the beading.

Or stitch it all and reverse and bead the top 12 inches or 12 bottom inches only (hmmm, now on my to stitch list...).

Just my two cents :)

BTW, it kills me to cut the painted parts away too.

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Oh, I'm so glad to hear that! I'm doing exactly what you said - I started using embroidery thread to do some smaller shapes with knots on the outside, and I went back and beaded all the way around that one and some other big shapes. I think I'll do what you said about groupings or gradations. I'll post a pic later of what I've done. I figured most people wear beaded dresses to Mardi Gras; if I'm going to go crazy, I should go all the way!

BeckyW said...

I really like what Bianca said too. I think you should go crazy with the beading. Can't wait to see more pictures.

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

And the beading's kind of fun, Becky - you need to bead a dress for your daughter!