Saturday, December 14, 2013

Alabama Chanin Beading Minus Fur

So here's what I started with Thursday, and I set about cutting all the knots and taking out the embroidery - piece of cake.


This is where I am now - it's all totally beaded and trimmed. I love it now! It's cohesive and has a single purpose, even though I left the knots from the button and craft thread. (There's no way I'm re-beading all those just to get the knots on the wrong side!)


Drew pointed out that I have a natural break between the bodice and the skirt stenciling (oops - it does take practice to reposition the stencil, you know), and suggested I stop there if I don't think I'll finish the dress. He's pretty smart for a boy, because that was also one of Bianca's suggestions from the get-go!

I think I'll move on to the other 3 pieces and at least get those bodices beaded, then see how much time is left to decide how to fill in the skirt. I can always do partial beading, sew it together, wear it, then bead the rest of it later. The ball is March 1st, so this can work! It's a race between Bianca and me now, to see who can finish their dress first - ready, set, SEW! (No, no, just kidding, Bianca, you're way ahead of me...hey, look over there! Is that a new Alabama Chanin pattern?!)

8 comments:

BeckyW said...

Oh Wow!! I really like what you've done. I can't imagine doing all that beading.

Pam said...

I too can't believe you are doing all the beading -- but it looks more "clean" now and you can really focus on the design (which is nice!).

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Thanks! It's not as relaxing as the straight hand-sewing, and I have to sit under a good light with lots of space, but it's still fun to do (except when the beads quit sticking to my beading glove and fall in the carpet).

Bianca s said...

You are hilarious! I can't even pretend to be insulted by the distraction of a new pattern! I just came in from stenciling a full length paisley dress!

I will not be distracted! I will finish my dress and before you (she says maniacally while loving her thread).

I absolutely love the beading here. You were correct about trimming the threads, it allows the beads to sparkle. It is gorgeous! I can't wait to see this completed.

Bianca s said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Hah - maniacally loving your thread! You did aNOther full- length dress?! You might be addicted to airbrush paint fumes....

Bianca s said...

COUGH, COUGH, have you been COUGH,talking to my COUGH, husband?

I try to do my ACing in blocks, cutting and stenciling in one color and maybe one stencil. This time I did a full dress in Paisley, a tee for hubby in Paisley and a poncho in Anna's Garden, all in the same brown paint. Doing it this way allows me to maximize setup time in my garage, saves and paint cleanup :)

There IS a method to my madness!

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Brilliant! I learn something new from you with every post!