Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Decisions, decisions...

Okay, so I couldn't find a pattern I loved for Mardi Gras, but last night I was cleaning out my pattern drawer (do I really need a maternity dress from 1990? No.) and ran across Simplicity 5093 that I bought last year and totally forgot about.



I remember the keyhole seemed like a terrible idea on a pear, but I think with the right fake boobage I can pull off the tank version (view D - the red one on the envelope). And I visited Ely's, Joann's, and Hancock's today (still no word on the contest - did it really ever exist?) but only liked the same purple crushed panne. I went to Fabric.com, but nothing grabbed me there, then I hit Gorgeous Fabrics on a whim and ran across this (let's keep an open mind).



I've ordered a swatch, but I have no idea how big this repeat is or what the whole design looks like - anybody order a print from them before? I may call and ask somebody, because I have a feeling a little swatch is only going to help me see if I like the feel of the fabric. As I told Robbie yesterday, I am fabric-challenged and have no idea what "crinkle panne velvet" will feel like. And what's the difference between panne and panne velour, anyway? Joann's separates them but they looked the same to me!

So keep your fingers crossed, or if you think it's awful let me know that too - I'm not attached at this point. I went back and read the fashion editor's Mardi Gras article and apparently big loud prints are IN this year - hopefully big hips will be too!

6 comments:

Pam said...

I love your idea!!

RobbieK said...

Ann (the owner)at Gorgeous Fabrics is very helpful. If you give her an idea of what you want to do with the fabric and tell her you are learning, she will go out of her way.

Junior said...

Very nice!

Sheila said...

Love the style line of the pattern dress, not sure about the fabric print, but like the fabric. Did that make sense. I would love to see that fabric in a solid color.

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

I sent an email to her - I may end up with the solid from Hancock.

sewistafashionista said...

Love the pattern. Especially like the option with the flared hem. What about big earrings with the dress - very femme fatale?