Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Much Better!

This feels much better - I don't feel like Grandma...or a matron of the Julia Tutwiler Prison for Women in Montgomery (because of the stripes, you know).



This is Butterick 4399 but apparently it's discontinued, because I couldn't find a picture or link online. It doesn't have a waistband but fits very nicely I think. (You non-sewers quit your gagging and scroll on down.)



And there's the center back zipper.



I made this a year ago but only wore it once for some reason (maybe because it wrinkles horribly). Then when the fiasco happened with the wrap dress, I decided to pull this out, wore it to the school's open house, and loved it. Dean gave it the stamp of approval - he walked in and stated, "You're wearing a skirt. Did you wear that to WORK?" (Ever hopeful that his wife who normally dresses like a man might have turned over a new leaf.) So I think I'll make some more of these in different lengths and fabrics. We're not all made for dresses.

In other news, Lucas is fired up about building a cart he saw in his Cub Scout handbook. It's like a small go-cart without the motor. He's asked every day if we can go to "a junkyard" to look for a motor, though. Drew spied 2 motors in the classifieds for $50 each and mentioned this to Lucas at dinner. Lucas immediately went slack-jawed and bug-eyed and asked what were "classifieds" and where could he find them. Dean rolled his eyes.

And that reminds me of a conversation my brother and I had. He's teaching his 10-year-old daughter to shoot the rifle she got for Christmas, and I'm teaching my son to use the sewing machine he got for his birthday. Raising the next generation of gender-confused children, I guess. (Well-rounded is more like it.)

9 comments:

Pam said...

I like it!! And you do look great in skirts!! Show off those stems:)

Sheila said...

I looks great on you and look forward to more versions of it.

Kitschy Coo said...

Nice pins!

sewistafashionista said...

I like your skirt a lot. It looks like it might be quicker to make than a dress so you can whip out a bunch in different colors.

When I wear a dress my husband asks me "Why?" Then I have to tell him that all my trousers are in the dirty clothes basket.

gwensews said...

Yes--sleek is your style! You can wear all those straight, elegant garments I long for.

Junior said...

she's learning how to shoot the rifle, Lucas is sewing and my boy is into baking right now....he even watched Paula Deen yesterday (home from school sick) and wrote down a recipe to try! Personally I think it's awesome that our kids are trying a variety of things!

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Stems and pins?! I think of them more as toothpicks under hamhocks, but thanks! And yes, that skirt was WAY faster than the dress - more to come.

Ann Made Studio said...

Very nice fit. ..I like it.

RobbieK said...

Love it!!!