Saturday, September 11, 2010

Accessory Makeover and $.89 Patterns!

Yesterday I was supposed to meet with some mighty important people from out of town, and this was all I could find to wear.



I had to work so I didn't want to wear a skirt, and my Jalie pants are now too short to wear with fashionable shoes (they're fine with flats, but then I look dumpy). It was also too hot to wear my nice Jalie top that I think is so cute. So I asked Dean if his first thought was "she looks tall and skinny" (because of the low-riding pants and tall heels) or "she looks like a man." He said I looked like a tall, skinny man. Then he asked if I was wearing his belt.

So, fast-forward to one hour before the meeting and I'm done with work, so I drive over to Dillard's because they have the best shoe department in my opinion. I whiz through and at the very last moment find the perfect pair of shoes I've been dreaming about - kitten-heeled (doesn't that just SOUND feminine?), pointy (which is always sexy, isn't it?), and shiny leopard-printed (RRRRRRRow!). I stuff my socks and shoes in the bag and tell the saleswoman I'm wearing these suckers outta here.

Now to the belt department - at the last minute I find a gold chain belt - gasp! I rip off my old brown one and ask the saleswoman how exactly one wears a belt like this (being so new to feminine womanhood, you know). I came in as a man, and I go out as a sexy hot momma...or, you know, looking more like a woman. I felt like Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman, seriously, except without the whole prostitution thing. I guess this is the opposite of that. Never mind.



And the Buttericks were on sale for 4 days - hooray! I spent a grand total of $3.85 on these. I have no idea why I bought this Retro 6582...well, yes I do. I usually buy patterns because a pretty blond woman is wearing something sexy, and I assume I'll look like her if I make this outfit. Does anybody else do that?



Obviously this is not a pretty blond woman, and the orange shirt was very off-putting to me, but the 5391 will be another attempt to get some decent pants to wear to work every day.



Here's 5542 which I'm considering for a Mardi Gras dress.



And thanks to Butterick for including one craft (4251)that a boy might want to make!

5 comments:

Pam said...

Ohh! I forgot Buttericks on Sale!! Hurray! I think your "makeover" looks great - kitten heels are always in style. I really like the patterns you picked out!

And sadly, yes, I buy clothes based on the images, not thinking that they may eventually be wadders 'cause that style may not look flattering!!

Cute story!! And Mardi Gras! Fun!

auntninn said...

Well, I think you looked cute in the first picture, too. No nonsense is its own kind of sexy. But the shoes and the belt make it even cuter!

sewistafashionista said...

Your shoes and belt do lighten up the outfit. I hope your meeting went well.
Sometimes I too am really put off by the fabric they use on the pattern photos. I turn the pattern over and make sure the line drawings cut it before I buy. It seems easier to see what is going on when I look at the drawings.
I loved those big pattern sales over the weekend too! Fun, fun.

RobbieK said...

Love the makeover; you look especially nice! (An old gentleman I worked with once said that to me. When I looked at him funny he said, "Well, if i said you look nice, that would imply you usually don't, which isn't the case. Love that man!) I have that retro pattern. Gonna make DD#2 a business cocktail dress. Thinking about silk dupioni?

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

I absolutely need to look at line drawings instead of models when choosing patterns. And Robbie - silk dupioni! I've got to get some - that's perfect!