Sunday, September 12, 2010

New Oyster-Eating Champion

This is from an article by Dan Murtaugh in the Mobile Press Register today, about the new oyster champ at Wintzell's. The deal is if you eat 403 oysters in one hour and keep them down you break the 7-year-old record and win $25. I did not make this up and transcribed it straight from the paper. Enjoy:

"Half an hour gone, Orndoff stuck Nos. 398 and 399 on his fork and swallowed. He speared No. 400. The crowd bubbled with excitement.

That's when Orndoff vomited.

It started slow at first, just a tiny stream coming through his fingers. But he couldn't hold it in, retching a violent gray-brown river into a trash can next to his feet.

He cursed, slapped the trash can. The crowd groaned.

"So close!" one woman shouted.

Then Orndoff pointed to the trash can, looked at a shucker and asked: "If I eat these in here, can I keep going?"

Donlon nodded her head.

Orndoff filled his cup with what had once filled his belly, and guzzled the regurgitated bivalves.

He quit after another 22 fresh ones, ending at 421 oysters.

Orndoff kissed his wife [ewww!], accepted the $25 check, then pondered the moment.

"I'm full," he said. "I've never been this full. I actually want to go throw up again."

5 comments:

Richard B said...

Oh my gosh. YUCK.

auntninn said...

I think I would have paid him $25 not to witness that. Icky.

Pam said...

Hahaaha! That is too funny - I ate about 20-40 oysters and clams a night up in Seattle for a week in June. I felt like my throat was a bit swollen each night - my mother asked - how many did you eat, a dozen? I had to reply, heck no probably 150 that week:)

403 would be too much for me even!! Crazy but fun story!!

RobbieK said...

WHY????

Junior said...

I probably should not have read that while eating lunch......