Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Dining in Luxury

Well, that's what the menu said. This is a historic restaurant in Foley called The Gift Horse and it is over the top. Now my mother adores this place and I mean no disrespect, but I had to stifle a laugh as we we were seated. This is what you see when you walk in the door.



Then you go around the corner.



Then you approach the hostess stand...er, host. There was nary a woman working in that joint as far as I could tell...interesting. And I don't know what to make of the gate here. Uh, should I touch it?



What was making me laugh was the Liberace-ish music playing, though. Very dramatic piano numbers. You can see that Lucas does not appreciate it. Can you also see the cakes behind him? One was coconut - my grandmother would love it.



Drew also does not appreciate the decor. The boys declare this an "old people" restaurant.



In all fairness, the buffet was good home-cooking. The sweet potatoes had praline sauce in them, the "famous fried biscuits" had a touch of pineapple in them if you like that kind of thing, and the meat casserole was my favorite. The service was excellent. They also have a gift shop and attached antique mall which was fun to look through. So when in Foley, Alabama, if you're looking for some good food with character, be prepared to get your granny on!

2 comments:

auntninn said...

I love finding those kinds of places on vacation. We still talk about the one we stumbled on by just pulling off the road when we got hungry. The owner was so passionate about healthy food and was walking around handing out her amazing homemade breads, telling everyone who would listen how to make them better for you.

Enjoy your trip!

Junior said...

too funny!