Saturday, January 3, 2009

The Perfect Mother

That is me....I am the perfect mother today. I was not the perfect mother yesterday. You can't be perfect when you rush home from one hospital to pay the babysitter and grab the kids, then head to another hospital to dump the kids on your husband, who is also on call, so the kids sit in a lounge watching cartoons for an hour and a half. But hey, grab some ice cream for the ride home and all is forgiven. The perfectitude started at dinner when I actually steamed some carrots to go with the leftover chicken Dean had cooked. Vegetables for my babies....go, me!

Today I am perfect because I got Drew to a friend's house by 10 AM, handed off Lucas in the hospital parking lot to Dean who was on his way home, went in for work, then made it home to pick up Lucas and go get his friend to come play with us all day. I even had a neighbor in to play too. Three boys making aliens on the kitchen table with Play-doh everywhere - what fun! I made everybody lunch then proceeded to make the most delicious homemade lemonade with lemons from the backyard - yum. And I have since cleaned up the house so you'd never know about the Play-doh.

Now, I can only be considered perfect if you assume it is always Dean's responsibility to grocery shop and cook dinner, which we will assume, since my cooking is certifiably mediocre. So if you expected me to grocery shop and cook dinner today in order to be perfect, you're peeing in the wind (or something similar). Needless to say, my husband is perfect today as well, since the ribs are braising in the oven as we speak.

And did I mention that the boys and I rode bikes New Year's Day then did about 30 minutes on the treadmill/bike/doing crunches? And I did a 15-minute ab workout today? The resolution to exercise more is holding - thanks Sister. Being a perfect mother for a day is just gravy.

2 comments:

Junior said...

What a busy but fun, productive day you had! Good for you with the exercising too! Today has been the first day I've done any kind of exercise since we walked at Christmas! But you have inspired me to get back in the routine....that, and the new Fitness magazine that came today!

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Fitness magazine....hmmmm...sounds good but I'd probably do like my tennis magazine and just read it then put it down, not employing any of the new techniques I'd just learned! You go Junior!